Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB Firewall???

Beans

USB Firewall???

Hi All. I have been doing some reading up on security at Ubuntu documentation. I have been trying to work on a firewall and antivirus for my Live USB 9.10 4 gig persistent. Having just recently done a (botched) installation og Ubuntu, I realised that there were differences between an installed version and a USB version. Namely a login, and a requirement to enter a password when trying to install the Wireless driver on the installed version. I havnt come accross a document that discusses security on a Live USB, vs an install

I want to make sure it doesnt look as if I don't want to install Ubuntu. I just initially got interested in the live USB as a way of not only having a ultra portable computer/browser, but also as a physical layer of protection/separation for all my files on the hard drive (yes currently in windows).

What concerns should I have for using the Live USB with no firewall?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: USB Firewall???

Why do you need firewall and AV?

To enable the firewall, open a terminal and issue
    Code:
    sudo ufw enable
    Last edited by marshmallow1304; January 12th, 2010 at 11:53 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow1304 View Post
    Why do you need firewall and AV?

To enable the firewall, open a terminal and issue
    Code:
    sudo ufw enable
    Lol, I don't know. I mean not only do I not know, but for all the good reasons which exist that I am not aware of.

I did do that, and a screen flashed for a second, so fast I couldn't read it, so I did it again but nothing. I also tried to install it by clicking on the link but got an error message. I guess I'm concerned that there is no firewall option In system administration.

And no asking for passwords for anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OK. Perhaps you will be more comfortable with gufw, as it is graphical. I believe it shows up in System->Administration.

Quote Originally Posted by pathfindermwd View Post
    And no asking for passwords for anything.
    That's a convenience of the live environment.
    Last edited by marshmallow1304; January 13th, 2010 at 12:04 AM.

Beans

OK. Perhaps you will be more comfortable with gufw, as it is graphical. I believe it shows up in System->Administration.

Yeah, I know. But it isn't there. Apparently because this isn't really an install? I did enable it in a terminal, but is it really working, is it even installed? How do I find out?

I set up passwords too but it doesn't ask me for them when I boot?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by pathfindermwd View Post
    Yeah, I know. But it isn't there. Apparently because this isn't really an install? I did enable it in a terminal, but is it really working, is it even installed? How do I find out?
    ufw is installed by default, but it is not a graphical program, so it will not show up in System->Administration. gufw is a graphical version, but it is not installed by default. To install it, click on the link I provided or use Synaptic (or Software Center).

As for the passwords, maybe check System->Administration->Login Screen. I've never tried passwords in a live environment, so I don't know if it's possible anyway.

Beans

ufw is installed by default, but it is not a graphical program, so it will not show up in System->Administration. gufw is a graphical version, but it is not installed by default. To install it, click on the link I provided or use Synaptic (or Software Center).

As for the passwords, maybe check System->Administration->Login Screen. I've never tried passwords in a live environment, so I don't know if it's possible anyway.

Thanks marshmallow, I appreciate your assistance. I wasnt very clear, I have previously followed the link for the gufw on the documentation page here:https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/keeping...html#id2774297 choosing apturl to open with (only choice), and it says it couldnt find GUFW. It also gave me that message at the link you provided. I also tried to download it using the software center under Applications but it told me says "not available in current data". It gives me this message for all firewall programs listed there.

I think It isn't available in live formats do you still think I shouldn't worry about it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

A default installation of Ubuntu has no significant servers listening by default and so in your situation I do not feel you gain much of anything by enabling your firewall.

Also, as you have discovered, there are multiple ways of installing to USB.

One way is similar to booting a CD and your changes are not saved. If you go this route, you most certainly do not need a firewall.

The other is using USB creator, or similar, and in that event you may want to look at a firewall. With this method your changes are saved between sessions.

To install GUFW you need to enable the "universe' repository, then update, then install.

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gufw

InstallingSoftware - Community Ubuntu Documentation
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Thanks very much bodhi.zazen.

I am going to try that right after dinner.

I did originally plan to use the live cd but needed the add-on of a password manager, and some data storing. Plus, I couldn't resist trying a USB O.S., very cool, and much faster than cd!

Lol, when I went up to Best Buy to get a big thumbdrive i asked the kid there about USB's that have a physical switch knowing I might be venerable. He sent out the geeksquad guy who asked about my application. He didn't believe an OS could be put on a USB, lol, I still have to get back up there and show it to him, though I couldn't find one with a switch.

I have not run across an explenation of the differences in the various size persistent installations. Do you know where a newbie could read about that? I'd like to know what 4 gigs does vs 2.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I am no certain, but basically my understanding is

The 4 Gb size is more of a standard installation and one then simply boots to USB.

The 2 Gb version uses casper to compress the installation.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast