Thread: Live CD with Adobe Flash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Live CD with Adobe Flash

Hey,

I am in need of a good solution. I need a Live CD that has Adobe Flash installed working with Firefox. I need the Live CD for my vacation so I can use it to book hotel rooms using the live cd on public Windows pcs which are probably infested with all sorts of nasty things. Using my credit card with IE on those machines is out of the question. My worry is keyloggers and other things that can copy my credit card info.

Is it possible to install Adobe Flash on a live cd or is there a workaround? Should I use a different approach? I've heard of using firefox on a usb flash disc but not in any details.

PS. I'm not bringing my own laptop. In that case I wouldn't have a problem, I guess. I have to use machines in hotel business centers or internet cafees.

Please help out, I'm leaving in a few days.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Live CD with Adobe Flash

Quote Originally Posted by conphara View Post
    Hey,

I am in need of a good solution. I need a Live CD that has Adobe Flash installed working with Firefox. I need the Live CD for my vacation so I can use it to book hotel rooms using the live cd on public Windows pcs which are probably infested with all sorts of nasty things. Using my credit card with IE on those machines is out of the question. My worry is keyloggers and other things that can copy my credit card info.

Is it possible to install Adobe Flash on a live cd or is there a workaround? Should I use a different approach? I've heard of using firefox on a usb flash disc but not in any details.

PS. I'm not bringing my own laptop. In that case I wouldn't have a problem, I guess. I have to use machines in hotel business centers or internet cafees.

Please help out, I'm leaving in a few days.
    Well if your able to access the net from live disk to book stuff - you should be able to install flash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It should be no problem to build a sisk or usb stick wiht what you need. I think aptonCD is the app that will do it. One warning. I use internet cafes here in Mexico when I travel and finding one that has the knowledge to change the bios to boot from a disk is hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Linux Mint is a Ubuntu based distro and comes with a version of FLash already in their live CD. It may not be the newest version of Flash, but it should work. Being Ubuntu based, usability should be fine if you haven't used it before.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If I can't use a live cd because of not being able to reboot the machine from the usb, then what can I do to make sure that virus and malware can't effect my internet use on public machine running presumably windows xp pirated.

I can't even be sure that I can install firefox on them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would think that if you must operate under the machine's current settings (by not being able to reboot from your LiveUSB or LiveCD), browser and OS, there is little you can do to stop anything residing on the machine from continuing its activities. If a previous infection of the machine exists, whatever its capabilities are will also have an effect on your use as well.

If the machine is clean you should be safe to navigate as you normally do, assuming the sites you intend to visit are legitimate and maintain privacy standards to keep malware, spyware, viruses, etc away.

This is only my humble opinion, but I would be reluctant to ever use a public machine for private browsing issues, such as using a credit card, checking any kind of account (utilities, credit card, bank, library, etc.). If it is mission critical and you are stuck with their OS and browser, maybe find a place to get online where there is a choice of browser that enables private or incognito browsing, but that does not prevent a keylogger or other type of activity from scraping your information.

Best bet is to take your own computer if able. If not, maybe try to handle those sensitive transactions at the most secure location you know of at the time to prevent any type of identity theft or other tracking that makes you uncomfortable. If you can do those things at home before you must be stuck in a public environment that'd be best.

Good luck. These are just opinion and others may have ideas that will enable you to work around the public factor in a better or easier way.