Thread: screen distortions/flickering with 3d apps ati radeon xpress 1100 on kubuntu 9.04

Beans

screen distortions/flickering with 3d apps ati radeon xpress 1100 on kubuntu 9.04

Hey, i installed kubuntu 9.04 yesterday and updated it with everything that was available, i have ati radeon xpress 1100 and i got everything running fine including kwin effects but i have a small problem i cant figure out how to fix:

When i run glxgears and put any window on top of it, i can still see the 3d gears rolling and i think this same problem is responsible for occasional artifacts on the screen. Its a very minor problem but i would like to see if fixed because i cannot use google earth properly, it seems that any 3d application likes to be focused on the screen, its like they flicker while being overlaid on top of everything.

Also i read the countless threads here complaining about not being able to use fglrx etc because of updated xorg. Well the reason im using 9.04 is because my wireless card alfa awus036h does not work with kernel > 2.6.31 and i have already tried kubuntu 9.10 on this laptop i wasnt having any problem with the display. All the kwin effects ran fine and no distortions of any kind. Seems there is some bug in 9.04.

please help thanks

Beans

Re: screen distortions/flickering with 3d apps ati radeon xpress 1100 on kubuntu 9.04

advice anyone ?