Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lexmark Pro 200 Series Printer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Lexmark Pro 200 Series Printer?

Awesome, glad to see that others have this working too. The link posted before me by Feenix3k was how I installed and printed with this printer. I had a minor issue with a failure to gain administrator access. Had to run the install script with sudo. Anyways, here are the gory details.

Go to "Lexmark United States Support & Downloads for Lexmark Prospect Pro205" http://support.lexmark.com/index?loc...rompage=null#1 Scroll down the page and click "See Downloads for Linux/Unix." I clicked on the third option, "Printer Driver without JRE for 32-bit Debian Package Manager based Distros." Gives you a popup, click download, choose download location. After download of the .tar.gz is finished, extract that sucker. Should give you a file "lexmark-inkjet-legacy-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh" Instead of double clicking to run the script, what you want to do is open a terminal Ctrl-Alt-T and type "sudo that file" where that file is the path of the .deb.sh. Should open a nice GUI installer. When I initially installed the printer on Windows XP about a year ago, I remember various bugs with getting the printer to print over our local wireless network. I eventually had my roommate fix the wireless printing.

Not too tough in comparison to compiling a custom kernel and other stuff my CS classes are having me do right now.

edit: installed printer software on another ubuntu computer. I got this weird error about not having the lexmark JRE something installed. I Googled "JRE" and apparently it means "Java Runtime Environment." I went to the Ubuntu Software Repository, downloaded the Java Runtime Environment, and the printer installation went great.
    Last edited by heyandy889; February 2nd, 2011 at 01:44 AM. Reason: added edit section about JRE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have the same printer Lexmark Prospect Pro205 and I can confirm that it works fine with Ubuntu as wireless printer. It work even as a wireless scanner on Ubuntu with Xsane software (xsane.org).

Beans

Hi -- I am a total newbie with Linux (LinuxMint 10). I also have the Prospect 205 and I installed it just fine. It used to work great with LinuxMint 10, but in my haste to get smarter, I started to add a Guest account and started fooling around with Permissions. Now my printer will only print a Testpage. If I try to print something else, I get an Error "/usr/local/lexmark/legacy/bin/printfilter failed". Any ideas to fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I keep getting this when trying to install in 11.10:

Lua error detected: While parsing install.lua: config/run.lua:1476: attempt to index global 'ownhership' (a nil value)

me no like-y......and I have no idea what it means.

Beans

Hoping someone has an idea before I get on the phone with Lexmark support.

Just bought a pro 205 printer. Downloaded the drivers from Lexmark (running Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit), found the fix for the lua error here. Conected the printer and my system sees it, but when I try to print I get "Printer Error - the printer cannot communicate with the computer".

Printing with USB cable. I know it's good, because I was able to install the printer & print with no problem from my XP VM on the same machine.

Guess it's the price I pay for saving a couple of bucks on a Lexmark. . .

Beans

Getting the same error. Printer worked perfectly on 11.10, and after upgrading to 12.04 any document that gets sent to the cue eventually fails. (unable to communicate with printer)

I Removed the drivers using synaptic and reinstalled using the Lexmark installer (this fixed the issues I had after upgrading to 11.10). If the installer is run using sudo, it completes without any error messages.

The usb connection is good, because I can print without any problem using my virtual XP machine.

I used the Device URI that came up on the list when the computer 'saw' the printer connected during the set up process. The laptop recognises the printer and everything shows up in cups (http://localhost:631/printers/ from a web browser) but the status is listed as " Idle - "/usr/local/lexmark/legacy/bin/printfilter failed"

Any time I try to print a test page or document, it sits in the cue and eventually gives the "unable to communicate with printer" error message.

Any assistance or insight is greatly appreciated. As embarrassing as it would be, I'd love to find out that my problem is somewhere between the chair and the keyboard.

Beans

it still won't work for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by T8r View Post
    Getting the same error. Printer worked perfectly on 11.10, and after upgrading to 12.04 any document that gets sent to the cue eventually fails. (unable to communicate with printer)

I Removed the drivers using synaptic and reinstalled using the Lexmark installer (this fixed the issues I had after upgrading to 11.10). If the installer is run using sudo, it completes without any error messages.

The usb connection is good, because I can print without any problem using my virtual XP machine.

I used the Device URI that came up on the list when the computer 'saw' the printer connected during the set up process. The laptop recognises the printer and everything shows up in cups (http://localhost:631/printers/ from a web browser) but the status is listed as " Idle - "/usr/local/lexmark/legacy/bin/printfilter failed"

Any time I try to print a test page or document, it sits in the cue and eventually gives the "unable to communicate with printer" error message.

Any assistance or insight is greatly appreciated. As embarrassing as it would be, I'd love to find out that my problem is somewhere between the chair and the keyboard.
    It is happing to me to

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12