Thread: Easiest way to switch to 32 bit?

Beans

Easiest way to switch to 32 bit?

I have a Pangolin running 64-bit Intrepid that I would like to install 32-bit Karmic on. I realize that this will take a fresh install, but I'm trying to make this as painless as possible, in the sense that I'd like to have basically all of the same packages as I currently do in 32 bit form, all the sam config files, etc.

Additionally, I'm really only vaguely familiar with partitions, but do know that System76 set up a separate home partition; how relevant is that when I'm doing a fresh install?

In case anyone's wondering why I'd do this, I've just had too much trouble with Java applets in 64 bit.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Easiest way to switch to 32 bit?

When you install the 32 bit one, all the packages should still be available from the repository that you had access to before. Only format / and don't touch /home and most of your personal settings should be saved.

I don't know if there would be any conflict however if you did, you'd obviously have to overwrite your /home as well.

What problems? I haven't had a single issue with java and have been using 64 bit for a year now.
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual." - Terry Pratchett

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The only thing I could think of would be if you had the 64-bit alpha Flash in ~/.mozilla/plugins you would need to delete it and install the 32-bit version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Why do you want to put 32-bit on? Is there something specific that stops you using 64-bit or that won't work with 64-bit?
    AMD Phenom Quad 9650, 8Gb RAM, (2 x 1) +(1 x 1.5)Tb HDDs; 64-bit Lucid (ʍoʃs ʎpooʃq ooʇ sɐʍ ʇı ʇnq ʎʇʇɐᴎ pǝıɹʇ I); Dual-boot Win XP Pro 32-bit (although mainly use WINE or VirtualBox). HP t5730 with 1GB RAM and 160GB HDD running xubuntu 10.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Ian9056 View Post
    Additionally, I'm really only vaguely familiar with partitions, but do know that System76 set up a separate home partition; how relevant is that when I'm doing a fresh install?
    A separate home partition isn't necessary, but it will make re-installs easier should you have to perform one.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by betrunkenaffe View Post
    What problems? I haven't had a single issue with java and have been using 64 bit for a year now.
    I've had a lot of issues with Processing, kind of an extension of Java (not sure if they bill themselves as a framework/environment/etc, it's extra libraries for visualization).

Processing itself works fine for a little while, but if you run an applet 3 or 4 times sometimes the screen scrambles in the computer totally locks up. This happens almost immediately if you view a sketch on www.openprocessing.org and scroll down to view the source code. This is all on Sun's 64 bit Java version; I didn't have any luck at all with icedtea.

I'm going to upgrade to 64-bit Karmic today and mess around a bit, but I think I'll try to make the switch to 32 if I can't get it sorted out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

ive found 32bit to be noticeably more slow on my panp5
    though it should be noted that I was using a slower 5500rpm drive when I was testing it out.

I will also add that the most painless way to test out something new is to have second 2.5 sata drive to do the testing. Also if you get and enclosure for ether your old or the new drive its possible to boot ubuntu that was installed internally, externally over usb. (easy as hooking up the drive) The speed suffers but not as much as one would think. I have still yet to test eSata but hopefully Ill get the cable in the mail soon.

You can install externally but...MAKE SURE you write grub to the external disk... by default ubiquity is stupid and will write to the local disc even if your installing externally. Writing over the grub your using for the sake of an external drive isn't fun... trust me
    Laptops: S76 Panp5, HP tc4400
    Other: numerous old desktops/laptops running ubuntu or puppy linux