Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How To Get Your Atheros 802.11n wireless working in 9.1

Beans

Re: How To Get Your Atheros 802.11n wireless working in 9.1

Seems to have fixed my intermittent problems with wifi on my Acer Ferrari one 200 series netbook (N214 zh6). Wireless is labeled as an 'Acer Nplify 802.11b/g/n'.

Yes, that's 'Nplify'. I don't understand marketing people... Vanna, I'd like to buy a vowel.

Thanks,
    Shawn

Beans

Any idea how to activate wireless-n mode? I've got a wireless-n router (Linksys, but not near it to get the exact model). We have it set to mixed g/n mode because my laptop (Gateway NV53) is capable of wireless-n (Atheros AR928X), but my wife's older laptop is only wireless-g.

With Mint 8 (=Ubuntu 9.10) I cannot connect at wireless-n speeds with the ath9k driver, even after following this howto. Also, I'm still seeing broad fluctuations in connection speed, from 54mb/s all the way down to 1mb/s, and everywhere in between at random.

I can get wireless-n speeds if I switch into Windows 7, but why would I want to do that? Any ideas how to activate 802.11n compatibility on this laptop? Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jackthe7th View Post
    I spent days trying to figure out how to get my atheros AR928x 802.11n wireless card to work in Ubuntu. The card worked perfect in Windows 7 but the connection kept dropping in Ubuntu. It would find my router and connect with 60% signal for about 5 seconds, then fall down to about 25% signal and then cut out altogether. After searching for days to find a solution, I finally figured it out and figured Id post it here to let everyone else in the same boat have a working wireless too!

I found this solution from:
    http://quefyx.com/2009/05/23/install...eee-pc-1008ha/

This solution is for JAUNTY (Ubuntu 9.04), so if you are running Jaunty, you can just follow that post.

If you are using Karmic (Ubuntu 9.1), you can follow this tutorial I'm posting. It's pretty simple:

First, make sure you got all your files up to date. Type in a terminal:

sudo apt-get update

Let that run, and once its done, type into terminal:

sudo apt-get upgrade

Once that finished, restart your computer. Again open up terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic

If you are using Jaunty, instead of karmic type in jaunty, if you use another version of ubuntu, you can find a list of versions and their names here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(operating_system)

Restart your computer one more time, and you should be good to go!

This has been tested and confirmed to work on:
    -Ubuntu 9.1(karmic) with an Atheros 928x 802.11n wireless card, using the Ubuntu installed network software, in a Gateway NV53 laptop connected to a belkin 802.11n wireless router.

-HP base station / 802.11g airport express

This has been tested and does not work/has issues with:

-airport extreme

I hope this works for you too, and if it does, please let me know with your hardware and Ubuntu version so I can post here what other setups have been confirmed to let this work.

Share and enjoy!

JackThe7th
    Thank you so much. I was getting dropped connections every 30 seconds and was about to give up but this fixed the problem.

Beans

Hi,

I am a complete linux novice.

I have an Acer Revo 3600 - no idea what the Wifi Card is and not sure how to find out.
    Router is a Lynksys WR54 running 802.11bg but not n - according to iwconfig

I ran the instruction, note to other 3600 users, you will have to reinstall the Graphics drivers.

The Wifi speed is 3Mbps which sounds great but on my Mac book, sitting 1 foot away I get speeds of 15Mbps and I can't figure out why the discrepancy.

Any idea or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Is there a way I can measure speed between the Revo and the Router so I can rule out any external factors?

Beans

Hey, I just want to thank you again for this tutorial. It's seems be working good on a Toshiba Satellite a500.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Worked on my HP Pavilion Elite e9120f....thanx

Beans

Worked on my el cheap-o eMachines, AMD64 A5001, Karmic 9.10. Thanks for posting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is there a fix for 10.10?

Installing linux-backports-modules-wireless-maveric-generic did nothing for it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12