Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Borked some apps by using PPAs...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Question Borked some apps by using PPAs...

    Hi,

    I'm running 9.10 and it's been great for me, until a few days ago... I added some PPAs, and they seem to have produced some conflicts that I don't know how to fix.

    I added PPAs for Midori, Webkit, Epiphany, Mozilla (for Firefox 3.7 and Thunderbird 3), and Banshee.

    Now I can't open Midori, Epiphany or (strangely) the Ubuntu Software Center.

    I don't know what has caused the problem, and I don't know how to investigate it to work it out either.

    I'd be very grateful if some kind person could give me a run-through of how to investigate the problem, so that I can fix it!

    Thanks,
    Docus
    Last edited by docus; January 11th, 2010 at 07:18 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    116

    Re: Borked some apps by using PPAs...

    Quote Originally Posted by docus View Post
    Hi,

    I'm running 9.10 and it's been great for me, until a few days ago... I added some PPAs, and they seem to have produced some conflicts that I don't know how to fix.

    I added PPAs for Midori, Webkit, Epiphany, Mozilla (for Firefox 3.7 and Thunderbird 3), and Banshee.

    Now I can't open Midori, Epiphany or (strangely) the Ubuntu Software Center.

    I don't know what has caused the problem, and I don't know how to investigate it to work it out either.

    I'd be very grateful if some kind person could give me a run-through of how to investigate the problem, so that I can fix it!

    Thanks,
    Docus
    Try removing the PPAs, then redo them one at a time, verifying each is successful before moving onto the next.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    over there
    Beans
    2,472
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Borked some apps by using PPAs...

    Quote Originally Posted by joeknoodle View Post
    Try removing the PPAs, then redo them one at a time, verifying each is successful before moving onto the next.
    Maybe you should re-read the OP. your suggestion doesn't address the stated problem.

    OP: I suggest you revert the apps to the supported versions. For example: uninstall Midori (sudo apt-get purge midori); remove the Midori PPA from /etc/apt/sources.list; update the package list (sudo apt-get update); reinstall Midori from the regular repos.

    If you do this for every application concerned, testing as you go along, hopefully that will fix the problem.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4
    blog photoblog


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Borked some apps by using PPAs...

    Thanks very much, I'll give that a try and then report back!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Borked some apps by using PPAs...

    Yay, my system is fixed! Thanks so much for your helpful advice.

    I did it all through Synaptic, and I learnt a lot about adding and removing repos and about downgrading to earlier stable versions of apps.

    The problem seems to have been with the Webkit PPA, which didn't play nicely with my particular system configuration.

    All in all, it was a simple process of deduction (elementary my dear Watson!)

    Now I'll know what to do the next time I bork my system with overzealous upgrades...!

    Thanks again

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •