Thread: Setting up Tor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Setting up Tor.

Hey, I need a idiot-proof tutorial on how to install, setup, and configure Tor. I need to use it for bypassing webfilters and such. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Setting up Tor.

Hi,
    If this is for just websurfing, you can use one of many web based services too. Many of them don't affect speed either. Have a look at http://www.proxy4free.com/
    Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Have you tried this one?
    http://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-unix.html.en

If not here is this one (tor with vidalia)
    http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2008/...th-ubuntu.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Warning: Tor is not all that it seems. Yes, it bypasses certain filters/blocks, however there is incentive to run a Tor exit node, where the Tor network ends and the connection to the destination website is done.

For instance, with many of the SSL MITM attacks, you could specifically target SSL sites like email (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo) or social networking (Facebook, Myspace, etc) and read "encrypted" logins that you thought was encrypted through SSL/HTTPS.

There has been instances in the past where Tor exit node operators were "sniffing" exit node traffic, capturing emails, etc. for "research". There's too much incentive to do this, because I've noticed some funny things on Tor nodes.

I would personally go with a VPN or a VPS service, where you install a VPN for your personal usage, and you pay for the VPN/VPS with a prepaid credit card so you can stay "anonymous" online.
    Project PWNED
    802.11 Enthusiast and proud IceWM user!!!
    (Ditch Gnome and apt-get install icewm)
    $9 USB Wifi Card. Works in 9.10 out of the box (its my avatar)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Project PWNED View Post
    I would personally go with a VPN or a VPS service, where you install a VPN for your personal usage, and you pay for the VPN/VPS with a prepaid credit card so you can stay "anonymous" online.
    VPN's are not anonymous because they are proprietary (though the risk might not be more than using TOR). Aside from bearing the cost, the buyer helps to create vested interests in Chinese censorship.

Has anyone heard where the Psiphon project went?