Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: h264 (x264) vs Theora

Beans

Re: h264 (x264) vs Theora

Quote Originally Posted by VertexPusher View Post
    PSNR results have to be taken with a grain of salt. x264 can perform some psychovisual tricks to preserve film grain and dithering noise. The results will look subjectively closer to the original, but the PSNR will be worse. For PSNR comparisons this feature should be turned off.
    It'd still be nice to see those results. If the h264 has as good results as the Theora file, that really would tell us something. We will have to keep in mind that they can be misleading.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by patrickaupperle View Post
    It'd still be nice to see those results.
    Here they are:

Source: http://web.mit.edu/xiphmont/Public/theora/demo7.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation Re: h264 (x264) vs Theora

Probably would be better to get the results of (PSNR) above compressed movie, as seen as we've used a very high bitrate compared to what you posted.
    Know any utility/script that performs this in a simple manner?
    Cheers,

Beans

Nice, that chart, I think, pretty much sims this thread up, unless we can get some charts of the actual posted files. The only other thing is to wait and see what theora and h26x due in the future.

Beans

Just for fun, I took some screenshots of the harry potter encodings. I redid the Theora encoding with handbrake and the results are better. Also, it ended up in an mkv, if that makes any difference. Both files are over 700 mb and within a mb of each other. To take the screenshots I used totem, edit - take screenshot. If there is a better method, please share.
    I have a few more, but it looks like Ubuntu Forums only wants to take 5 attachments. Ill put the rest up on image shack. I'll add them when I am done.

One interesting thing to note, the two videos are different lengths. It is only one second, but it still is interesting. I think this is related to the fact that the screen shots are not identical. Look at this:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by patrickaupperle; January 26th, 2010 at 03:32 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VertexPusher View Post
    PSNR results have to be taken with a grain of salt. x264 can perform some psychovisual tricks to preserve film grain and dithering noise. The results will look subjectively closer to the original, but the PSNR will be worse. For PSNR comparisons this feature should be turned off.
    When doing PSNR measurements, x264 provides an option that disables all the psy optimizations in order to get valid readings. "--tune psnr". This should always be used when doing such comparisons.

Beans

I am really wondering now, what does cause the differences in the above screen shots? Look in the screenshot galleries, created by totem, they have the exact same times listed, but the scenes in them are pretty far apart. Can someone explain this?

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 6.06 Dapper

What is the preferred quality settings when encoding theora? What do most people use for regular 480p? 720? Is using quality 10 worth the size?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by elitenoobboy View Post
    What is the preferred quality settings when encoding theora? What do most people use for regular 480p? 720? Is using quality 10 worth the size?
    in terms of file size
    treat 5 as 400kbps H.264
    treat 8 as 1100kbps H.264

I think 8 is more than good enough

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by patrickaupperle View Post
    I am really wondering now, what does cause the differences in the above screen shots? Look in the screenshot galleries, created by totem, they have the exact same times listed, but the scenes in them are pretty far apart. Can someone explain this?
    The frame rates don't match.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast