Thread: Removed pulsaudio to install esound -> gnome-volume-control won start

Beans

Removed pulsaudio to install esound -> gnome-volume-control won start

I was having problems with ubuntu's overall speed so i decided to look for optimization threads here and i've found this. From there i've followed the link to How to Remove Pulse Audio Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) and decided to give it a try even though it's for 8.10... which obviously was a mistake. I guess you could say i've successfully uninstalled pulseaudio in order to install esound, now everything works faster but i can't seem to open gnome-volume-control (waiting for the sound system to respond)
    $ gnome-volume-control

** (gnome-volume-control:6114): WARNING **: Connection failed, reconnecting...

** (gnome-volume-control:6114): WARNING **: Connection failed, reconnecting...
    So i guess i should change some line in some file that thinks i'm still using pulseaudio. Would you tell me how to do that?

Beans

Re: Removed pulsaudio to install esound -> gnome-volume-control won start

If you're using Karmic/9.10, use this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~dtl131/+archive/ppa (Lucid versions coming soon)
    You want the gnome packages from it. Don't install the (lib)canberra stuff or the portaudio packages, as they're intended for OSS4 users.