Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positive Step for Bluray in Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Positive Step for Bluray in Linux

I noticed this at the tail end of an old post. I thought I'd start a new thread so it may be easier for folks to notice. I know I was very pleased to learn this having just received my new Dell laptop with bluray drive.

Apparently there is a much better way (than the previous, complicated workarounds) to play bluray on Linux now. The Media Viking explains it all at:

http://themediaviking.com/software/bluray-linux/
    I'd rather die fighting lions than being trampled by geese.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Positive Step for Bluray in Linux

Interesting, though I guess it's not open source because the algorithm is proprietary and if it got out it would be a disaster for Blu-Ray.
    Lucid Beta 2 powered Studio 15 (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 3 GB RAM, HD 3450) & Windows XP powered Scaleo E (Celeron D 3.06GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Intel GMA 915G). Please see Ubuntu Tutorials (my YouTube channel).

Beans

Glad I saw this. I was thinking about fiddling with firmware.

starcannon is offline Chocolate Ubuntu Mocha Blend
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm wondering what if any real impact Blu-Ray in linux is going to have. By the time it (blu-ray) gets working smoothly on Linux, I expect the rest of the world will have moved on to SSD or some other Flash Storage Medium.

I'm not trying to be trollish; but I think it is only a matter of time before flash storage takes the place of moving parts like DVD's, CD's, and Blu-Ray disks. Moving parts are archaic and prone to mechanical problems; solid state is here, and can deliver the quality were finding on a Blu-Ray, only cheaper too produce per GB, reusable as a medium to deliver rentals, and not likely to get scratched or broken. No drives to break down.

I look forward to that, and it has to be just around the corner, we just have to pay off the industries investment before they let us move on to the next thing I expect(as far as off the shelf consumer level devices like movie players go).

Just my .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by starcannon View Post
    I'm wondering what if any real impact Blu-Ray in linux is going to have. By the time it (blu-ray) gets working smoothly on Linux, I expect the rest of the world will have moved on to SSD or some other Flash Storage Medium.

I'm not trying to be trollish; but I think it is only a matter of time before flash storage takes the place of moving parts like DVD's, CD's, and Blu-Ray disks. Moving parts are archaic and prone to mechanical problems; solid state is here, and can deliver the quality were finding on a Blu-Ray, only cheaper too produce per GB, reusable as a medium to deliver rentals, and not likely to get scratched or broken. No drives to break down.

I look forward to that, and it has to be just around the corner, we just have to pay off the industries investment before they let us move on to the next thing I expect(as far as off the shelf consumer level devices like movie players go).

Just my .
    Yep. Blu Ray is old already. I don't see a point to it at all, other than to retain an ancient distribution model for lumbering entertainment companies that won't face up to the fact that digital media has moved on considerably since 1997.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If someone really wants BlueRay or HD-DVD if I am not mistaken you can purchase PowerDVD (linux version) and it works good. Plus you can legally watch you dvds without any codec legal issues.
    Linux User: 380654
    CIW Certified Internet Web Professional: 435668

Beans

Moving parts are archaic and prone to mechanical problems; solid state is here, and can deliver the quality were finding on a Blu-Ray, only cheaper too produce per GB, reusable as a medium to deliver rentals, and not likely to get scratched or broken. No drives to break down.
    You have a point about flash, etc, being able to deliver the same quality as a blu-ray disc, but cheaper? No way. Discs cost virtually nothing to make.

Besides, the big media producers care not one bit about breakable parts, etc. If fact, they want media delivered on the most fragile means available- meaning discs.

Besides, blu-ray is, IMO, only in part about quality. Its more about re-doing content encryption. DVD has been so broken that its arguable, in court, that ripping is 'fair use' (for personal use anyway). 'Bending' the DCMA might be possible with DVD, but I doubt that it would be arguable with blu-ray.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    Besides, blu-ray is, IMO, only in part about quality. Its more about re-doing content encryption. DVD has been so broken that its arguable, in court, that ripping is 'fair use' (for personal use anyway). 'Bending' the DCMA might be possible with DVD, but I doubt that it would be arguable with blu-ray.
    You are allowed to make a copy of any purchased media as long as its for personal use. There is no bending of the rules, its allowed full stop.

The same should apply for Blu Ray media. Unless there is some special law created for Blu Ray media only banning copying for personal use. Which I find unlikely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by koshatnik View Post
    You are allowed to make a copy of any purchased media as long as its for personal use. There is no bending of the rules, its allowed full stop.

The same should apply for Blu Ray media. Unless there is some special law created for Blu Ray media only banning copying for personal use. Which I find unlikely.
    In part, yes. But dont forget the DCMA-

It criminalizes production and dissemination of technology, devices, or services intended to circumvent measures (commonly known as digital rights management or DRM) that control access to copyrighted works. It also criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, whether or not there is actual infringement of copyright itself.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital..._Copyright_Act

Yeah, I know, wikipedia, but I could be bothered t find the full version. It would all be in legalese anyway.

Under that horrid legisation, ANY 'circumvention' is illegal .That includes DVD CSS, blu-ray AACS, etc. (why do you think so many distros dont play DVDs 'out ofthe box'? ) While I doubt that anybody would get in trouble for DVD decoding....yet anyway...blu-ray would be far more frowned upon.

Its a bit of a stretch because in many ways it goes against 'fair use' laws, but if anyone goes to court for this, the real issue wont be if they have broken the DCMA laws. It will be fair use vs DCMA.
    Last edited by cascade9; January 11th, 2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: minor clean up, missed a word LOL

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

While I agree that if we even keep using media, it will go toward solid state, I don't think it's anything that we have to worry about any time soon. People are still buying DVDs, so Blue Rays aren't going anywhere for a very long time. Just walk into Wal-mart and look at aisle after aisle of DVDs. Then look at the small section of Blue Rays they have with a very small number of choices. You can't even get all movies on Blue Ray that are offered on DVD yet.

It will be a long time before Blue Ray is obsolete. And also, DVDs and Blue Rays are way cheaper to make than SSDs for the time being. That will change at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by koshatnik View Post

Not true, at least in the US. You are allowed to make backups of CDs, but you are not allowed to make backups of DVDs or Blue Rays.

For Windows, which has all the attention because of market share, there are only a couple of DVD de-encryption applications available to break copy protection schemes. The ones that are left are hard to find and are getting shut down right and left.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast