Thread: Flux box help

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Red face Flux box help

hello... i installed fluxbox from the package manager ..
    now i want ti to look like the pic in the following link..pls tell me how

http://navynos.linux.pl/files/navynos/screen1.jpg

also guys ...the filemanger called tuxcommander rocks...giv it atry it is in the repositories

Beans

Re: Flux box help

thats pretty standard, should be easy if your familiar enough with fuxbox.

first i'd look for the theme: http://customize.org/fluxbox/themes
    the background might be a little harder, but i'm sure you'll find something.
    there are lots of apps for the slit, i'd go with conky instead of that.

Beans
    Distro

thanx a lot....
    but i'm a bit of a noob... so can u point out some links of how i can actually do that

Beans

Beans
    Distro

yeah i've read it
    for setting the background in the themes open theme file and got to the line rootcommand... but most of the theme files dont have that then also if i added that line nothing happens...this is one of the customizing problems i have

Beans

Here's something I posted a while ago that you might find useful:

There are two ways to set the background in Fluxbox: globally and for a specific style. The global background will be used with any style that doesn't set its own background, but the style background will override the global background.

There are different ways of setting the global background, but the easiest I've found is to use gsetroot. It's in the repos and it's a little GUI frontend to esetroot, which you'll already have if you installed the latest Fluxbox from the repos.

To set a specific background for a specific style you need to edit the style's file in ~/.flubox/styles using background. Using background is explained here:

http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php/Background

As it says in the wiki, background has replaced rootCommand, but I've found that a lot of styles that specify their backgrounds still use rootCommand. Assuming you're using the current Fluxbox, you need to edit the style to use background to get it to work.

The wiki also covers alternative ways to set the global background, if you don't want to use gsetroot.

(Another thing I found when trying to get styles to work properly is that the specified fonts don't always work without some tinkering. This applies to a couple of the artwiz fonts, and may apply to others. For example, one style specified the mints-strong font, but it wasn't working. Everything looked ok because the name of the font's .pcf file was as it was specified in the style file - with the hyphen. But when I looked at its properties, the font's 'real' name is mintsstrong. I changed it to that in the style file and it worked.)
    I also use gtk-chtheme to preview and switch GTK+2x themes. LXAppearance does the same thing, plus it can preview/change the icon set too, although for some reason I've never been able to get it to do that properly for me. Both are in the repos.
    Last edited by HandyAndy; January 12th, 2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Minor clarification

Beans
    Distro

thats beatiful... thanx a bunch......