Thread: Audio over HDMI

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Audio over HDMI

Hi, I know that this question was asked before but I wanted to know what is the best card for audio over HDMI on Ubuntu 9.10.
    I'ts for an HTPC system I'm building and I need it to passthrough all the system's sounds through HDMI. I prefer an nvidia card because of VDPAU but an ATI card is also an option if it works well.
    the two models I was thinking about are: GT 220 512MB DDR3 128BIT and Sapphire ATI Radeon 4350 256MB DDR2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Audio over HDMI

*bump*
    This is something I'm also looking at. Is multi channel audio better or easier to setup with ATI or NV?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I found that It's cheaper with ATI, since an NV card that supports HDMI audio out cost a considerable amount more than one from ATI.
    Last edited by raptor222; January 14th, 2010 at 09:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

From what I've seen getting audio over HDMI from a stand alone card is much easier with ATI compared to Nvidia. I am currently struggling to get my MSI Nvidia 9400 card to pass the audio through.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Audio works well through HDMI on my karmic with nv card,but vlc video acceleration is still not work correctly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by djstava View Post
    Audio works well through HDMI on my karmic with nv card,but vlc video acceleration is still not work correctly.
    Are you using the motherboard SPDIF passthrough setup? Cause if you are... did you have to do anything special to get it working? I am struggling w/ mine... (sorry to thread jack)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Please ask me that question again in about three weeks (after I'll get the ATI card in the mail and after my exams), but from all I red it seems that after you install the drivers Ubuntu identifies the card as an PCI digital audio device (and an GPU).