Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there an ADOBE ACROBAT PRO PDF EDITOR alternative for LINUX ?

Beans

Re: Is there an ADOBE ACROBAT PRO PDF EDITOR alternative for LINUX ?

I agree with the last post. PDF Studio has many functionalities, and I highly recommend it. After trying several others, I've decided to use PDF Studio. There are two versions available: "Standard "and "Pro", so you can choose the one that better fits your needs.

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: Is there an ADOBE ACROBAT PRO PDF EDITOR alternative for LINUX ?

No open-source alternative to PDF Studio? I'm not sold yet on the sourceforge PDFEDIT. What I've needed to do for years is to take a large PDF - it's a print out from Family Tree Maker showing everyone in my family tree - quite large, 160" by about 190". I need to split it down to portions no more than 30 inches wide so I can have a printer in town print it out without having to spend an absolute fortune.

Dave

Beans
    Hidden!

Take a look at pdfposter, from their website:

Pdfposter can be used to create a large poster by building it from multple pages and/or printing it on large media. It expects as input a PDF file, normally printing on a single page. The output is again a PDF file, maybe containing multiple pages together building the poster.
    The input page will be scaled to obtain the desired size.

(pdfposter is in the repositories, as is python-pdftools).
    Linux Counter - 312953
    (on the 'new' DB)

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: Is there an ADOBE ACROBAT PRO PDF EDITOR alternative for LINUX ?

Thanks - I'm going to take a look at that a little later tonight. I was hoping something was there as the PDFEDIT from sourceforge seems to have some dependencies I haven't been able to solve yet.

Thanks again!

Dave

Beans

Howdy,

I use a combination of Xournal, Gimp, PDFShuffler and PDFChain.

PDFEdit never worked for me and the LibreOffice PDF Editor plugin was unstable for me.

Xournal is excellent!

Beans

Hey,
    I know the last post in this thread is over a month old, but PDF Studio from Quppa announced they are coming out with version 7 this month. It was mentioned earlier on this thread, but some of the new features really do make it an alternative for Adobe Acrobat Pro, well at least the Pro version anyway.

The key thing about version 7 is content editing, ability to edit can change text and images in your document instead of just adding notes or filling in forms. Also they did some major bug fixes that made the old version give errors on many documents. But they are targeting Ubuntu users. One of their fixes specifically mentions patches for Ubuntu.

The price is not bad, although it is not open source and it is a pay application. There are free alternatives that do similar things, and I recommend trying those, but none of them are replacements for Acrobat Pro or Nitro PDF like this is.

Their change log for version 7, if your considering it is at
    Code:
    http://www.qoppa.com/pdfstudio/demo/changelog/version700.html
    I do not have any affiliation with Quppa or PDF Editor. I have used the old version, which was not an good or stable solution in the past, but I am really excited about version 7. In fact, I use NitroPDF in Wine for the time being, but would rather replace a Wine solution with a product that targets Linux.

Ha, while writing this and going to the change log I linked before, I see they have a beta trial online. I almost missed it, but it is on the top right of the title in a dark grey box.

Give the free PDFedit on sf and then try PDF Studio. PDFedit is definitely smaller than PDFstudio.

I just installed both PDFedit and PDF Studio, PDF Studio has a nice clean interface and loads pretty fast for a java application. The text editor works nice, it is not quite like Acrobat, you double click blocks of text and make changes to them. The image editing is like modifying a layer in an graphic editor which is nice.

For PDFedit, I was going to install your deb but it is an older version and the the latest .4.5 is available in a PPA at
    Code:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PDFedit
    PDFedit has a GTK, awkward look on Ubuntu, and when editing text blocks, you use the edit tool and modify a box. PDFedit ruins my text formatting when I try to edit text.

PDF Studio comes as a .sh file that loads a gui installer and runs in user space. PDFedit, you compile or use the deb file as mentioned by thread op or ppa.

Please note LibreOffice/OpenOffice has limited PDF editing support, but it loads PDF Pages 1 page at a time and imports it into the draw application.

My recommendation and now informed after seeing the beta version is PDF Studio from Quppa or running NitroPDF from Wine, both are similar prices.
    Last edited by BrainCreation; December 11th, 2011 at 04:00 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Howdy,

I use a combination of Xournal, Gimp, PDFShuffler and PDFChain.

PDFEdit never worked for me and the LibreOffice PDF Editor plugin was unstable for me.

Xournal is excellent!
    Thanks Herman, I was looking for this today and Xournal is the piece I was missing in my puzzle.

Maybe some users require more, but I don't. Xournal, Gimp, PDFShuffler and PDFChain replaces all my "acrobat pro" needs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12