Thread: Schedule Grsync backup?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Schedule Grsync backup?

I've used Grsync to set up a number of file backup sessions, but I'd like to use the scheduler to run at say weekly intervals.

In my Applications>System Tools I have a program called Scheduler which I assume is a frontend for crontab?

I've seen enough threads on crontab to think I could have a go at setting it up, but how to I get the list of commands etc out of grsync to put into it?

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Schedule Grsync backup?

Quote Originally Posted by aquascrotum View Post
    I've used Grsync to set up a number of file backup sessions, but I'd like to use the scheduler to run at say weekly intervals.

In my Applications>System Tools I have a program called Scheduler which I assume is a frontend for crontab?

I've seen enough threads on crontab to think I could have a go at setting it up, but how to I get the list of commands etc out of grsync to put into it?

Any help appreciated

Cheers
    I'm guessing that grsync is simply a frontend to rsync. You can add the commands for rsync into the crontab, and they will be exectued on the scheduled basis. You can take a look into crontab here.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by talsemgeest View Post
    I'm guessing that grsync is simply a frontend to rsync.
    Yep, it is.

Btw, if your machine isn't on 24/7 then you will want to use anacrontab. That's as simple as dropping your rsync script into the right folder (eg: /etc/cron.weekly) and making sure it's executable by root.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by talsemgeest View Post
    I'm guessing that grsync is simply a frontend to rsync. You can add the commands for rsync into the crontab, and they will be exectued on the scheduled basis. You can take a look into crontab here.
    As per my original post, my main query is in decifering what the rsync commands generated by grsync are...?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Yep, it is.

Btw, if your machine isn't on 24/7 then you will want to use anacrontab. That's as simple as dropping your rsync script into the right folder (eg: /etc/cron.weekly) and making sure it's executable by root.
    No idea what this means, sorry, My PC isnt on all the time though so I'm guessing it does apply to me. Can someone elaborate?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by aquascrotum View Post
    As per my original post, my main query is in decifering what the rsync commands generated by grsync are...?
    Since I don't have grsync, I don't know if it has any special features. However, here is a good page to help with backing up with rsync: http://www.linux.com/news/enterprise...ert-with-rsync
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Distro

Ok I found out what commands grsync has generated...one being

"rsync -r -t -v --progress --delete --ignore-existing /home/kyle/ /media/Buffalo Media/Home Backup/"

Can anyone advise how I make this into a script, and how to setup anacrontab to run it once a month given irregular PC usage?

Cheers