Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: your thought on the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The more I hear about ACTA, the more scared I get.

I remember seeing a video about it on this forum months ago. I was reading up on some tech news, and I watched a cnet video about it. The more I hear about this ACTA treaty, the more scared I feel. The thought of having no privacy online, and getting devices like an iPod or MP3 player confiscated because of content (such as copied CDs) is scary.

I'm sorry if there's a topic about it here, but I thought I'd make this topic here. I'm not a fan of these kind of topics, but I just thought it might make good to talk about with other computer users.

Do we really have to worry and be paranoid? What's some advice and how do you feel about this. It has me worried since I don't use the net for illegal downloading.

Beans

Re: The more I hear about ACTA, the more scared I get.

Keep your pants on, I highly doubt such laws will come about, and if they did then people will find ways around it like TOR, they always have found ways.

Such a law would be a hapless reaction to the advancement of IT.
    Last edited by zagz; November 21st, 2009 at 08:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Governments should be accountable to their people. We don't need to worry about circumventing such laws, we need to worry about stopping them in the first place. The more power we give to them, the more power they will take unto themselves.
    Last edited by Crunchy the Headcrab; November 21st, 2009 at 08:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Come to think of it, I'm now wondering if it would affect open source software, something that caught my interest after using Linux for the first time.
    Last edited by LinuxFox; November 21st, 2009 at 09:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Please don't bring politics into the conversation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, please don't bring politics into this. I want to talk about what I've been reading, in case someone knows more than me. Besides I watched a video about ACTA on YouTube, and it was mainly politics, not about the any of the problems this treaty may cause. Besides I'm not really into politics anyway. I started this topic because I'm into reading tech news, and I first read about it here months ago.

The bit I've read over on Tech blogs, just make this sound really scary. Makes me wonder if there would be an uproar if iPods get taken away, since they're personal devices.
    Last edited by LinuxFox; November 22nd, 2009 at 03:58 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

That's why you should install Rockbox on your mp3 player, lets you play Free audio formats, and lets you encrypt your entire music library with strong encryption and plausible deniability.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ZankerH View Post
    That's why you should install Rockbox on your mp3 player, lets you play Free audio formats, and lets you encrypt your entire music library with strong encryption and plausible deniability.
    Rockbox looks tight. I haven't used it but I almost installed it on my old SanDisk Sanza.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy the Headcrab View Post
    Rockbox looks tight. I haven't used it but I almost installed it on my old SanDisk Sanza.
    I ended up installing it on a 1st gen iPod nano I got on a garage sale for €5, because I was frustrated that it wouldn't just let me mount the damn thing, cp my flac music collection and play it - and it didn't support plaintext playlists.

Beans
    Hidden!

your thought on the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA)

Last edited by Shpongle; January 11th, 2010 at 11:05 PM.
    What arrests my attention...
    is the fact, that this space is inhabited.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast