Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Add a "Search Folder" option to Nautilus's right-click/context menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

HOWTO: Add a "Search Folder" option to Nautilus's right-click/context menu.

While Nautilus's built-in search (accessed by the "Search" button or Ctrl-F) can find files by name or extension, I often need something a little more advanced. For example, searching for files based on their dates, size, and content. The gnome-search-tool, accessed by Places->Search for Files, can do this but I have to browse to the folder of interest everytime I use it. This problem can be solved by adding the gnome-search-tool to the right-click/context menu using the "Nautilus Actions Configuration".

• Install it by entering...
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install nautilus-actions
      ...into the terminal.
    • Start the program by going to System->Preferences->Nautilus Actions Configuration.

Ubuntu 11.04 and later

Haven't figured it out yet. All suggestions are welcome.

Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10
    • File->"New action"
    • On the "Actions" tab, type...
      Code:
      Advanced Search...
      ...for the Context Label and make sure Display item in selection context menu is checked.
    • On the "Command" tab, type...
      Code:
      gnome-search-tool
      ...for Path and...
      Code:
      --path %d/%f
      ...for Parameters. (For a detailed description of the parameters, click the Legend button.)
    • Now we have to tell Nautilus to display this option only when a folder is selected. On the Conditions tab, accept the defaults. Under "Appears if selection contains", Select Only folders and make sure "Appears if selection has multiple files or folders" is unchecked.
    • File->Save and close the program.

Ubuntu 9.10 and earlier
    • Click the Add button. Type...
      Code:
      Advanced Search...
      ...for the Label.
    • In the Profiles box, select Main and and click the Edit button on the right.
    • Next we have to tell the gnome-search-tool to start the search at the selected folder. On the Action tab, enter...
      Code:
      gnome-search-tool
      ...for Path and...
      Code:
      --path %d/%f
      ...for Parameters. (For a detailed description of the parameters, click the Legend button.)
    • Now we have to tell Nautilus to display this option only when a folder is selected. On the Conditions tab, accept the defaults. Under "Appears if selection contains", Select Only folders and make sure "Appears if selection has multiple files or folders" is unchecked. Click OK, OK, and Close.

Restart Nautilus by logging out and logging back in. To test it, and right click on any folder choose "Advanced Search..." near the bottom of the context menu. The folder you chose should appear by "Look in Folder". Advanced options can be displayed by by clicking on "Select More Options" and choosing one from the dropdown menu before clicking Add. Finally, to search click the Find button.

That's it!
    For a graphical explanation (but dated) of how to use the Nautilus Actions Configuration look here. If you want to edit or remove your "Advanced Search..." item from the menu, run the "Nautilus Actions Configuration", select it and click Edit Or Delete. "Nautilus Actions Configuration" can be uninstalled by...
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove nautilus-actions
    Last edited by rCXer; June 16th, 2011 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Updating for Natty

Beans

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO: Add a "Search Folder" option to Nautilus's right-click/context menu.

* Restart Ubuntu.
    quite confusing
    What about
    Code:
    $ nautilus-actions-check-actions-change
    ?
    What is it for?
    There is no information about it neither in
    Code:
    $ man nautilus-actions-check-actions-change
    neither in
    Code:
    http://www.google.com.ua/search?q=%2Bnautilus-actions-check-actions-change

Beans
    Distro

Re: HOWTO: Add a "Search Folder" option to Nautilus's right-click/context menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Interruptor View Post
    quite confusing
    I changed it to "Restart the computer"

What about
    Code:
    $ nautilus-actions-check-actions-change
    ?
    What is it for?
    I have no idea what "nautilus-actions-check-actions-change" does. I always use the gui

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: Add a "Search Folder" option to Nautilus's right-click/context menu.

Quote Originally Posted by rCXer View Post
    I changed it to "Restart the computer"

It was not about formulation, but about meaning.
    I'm used to restart Ubuntu (equals "my computer") only if I've changed something in grub's menu.lst or installed new kernel version. And this setting is so insignificant to restart Ubuntu. Weird

Beans
    Distro

Hmm, on my machine, items added sometimes don't appear until I restart nautilus or Ubuntu. I'll leave "Restart the computer" there just in case.

Beans

Smile Re: HOWTO: Add a "Search Folder" option to Nautilus's right-click/context menu.

Code:
    nautilus -q
    working without system restart

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Restarting the computer is quite unnecessary.

A simple restarting of nautilus will do.

1. alt + f2
    2. gksudo killall nautilus && nautilus

Or just logout and back in again.
    Fear is the mindkiller....
    The little death that obliterates...

Beans

Smile Re: HOWTO: Add a "Search Folder" option to Nautilus's right-click/context menu.

Also, adding different options can be very useful. For example, I modified parameters string like this:
    Code:
    --path %d/%f --hidden --contains=""

Beans
    Distro

I have updated this tutorial for Lucid.

Beans

Hello!

I tried this in Natty and found out that Nautilus Action Configuration has been upgraded to v 3.0.5, so your howto is not up to date anymore. Especially in Natty/Unity it's vital to be able to search from context menu.

GRTZ!
    "Umuntu ngumuntu ngabanye bantu" - Xhosa saying.
    (People are people because of other people)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast