Thread: Firefox 3.5.7 (ubuntuzilla upgrade) does not fully quit / crashes firefox

Hybrid View

Beans

Firefox 3.5.7 (ubuntuzilla upgrade) does not fully quit / crashes firefox

I recently upgraded via ubuntuzilla to firefox 3.5.7 and now, every single time I close Firefox, the program seems to crash without quitting completely.

First, I receive an error saying that the program will not close and asks me if I want to Force Quite or Wait for it to close on its own. This has been happening ever since I upgraded to Karmic and if I just wait it usually quits fully after a couple seconds.

Now what happens is this: the window still closes, but if I try to reopen Firefox then I get this error stating that Firefox is already open and therefore cannot be opened again. The only way to get back into Firefox is to restart the entire computer. (Incidentally, this is the same problem that occurs whenever I try to Force Quit Firefox)

This now happens every single time I "close" Firefox.

Does anyone know the source of this error? Or a workaround?

EDIT: SOLVED. DISABLE OR COMPLETELY REMOVE GHOSTERY ADD-ON. note: creating a new profile will effectively do the same thing, and then some.
    Last edited by noob555; January 12th, 2010 at 04:54 PM. Reason: SOLVED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Firefox 3.5.7 (ubuntuzilla upgrade) does not fully quit / crashes firefox

Hi

could be something with your profile

try starting a fresh profile, and see if the problem goes away.

(to do this, start 'firefox -P' to start the firefox profilemanager, create a new profile, start with that profile, and see if there are any problems quitting.)

Beans

Thanks. I'll give it a try. I should mention that a couple other people have mentioned this problem and are posting here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1375930&page=2

Beans

oops, posted to wrong place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

ok, let me know how it goes!

Beans

So the new profile works, even after I re-install my addons, theme, etc. I'm not sure what this problem is. Do you know?

p.s. THANK YOU!