Thread: What DELL model do you have?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: What DELL model do you have?

Dell 500 ftw!

Beans

Brand New Inspiron 537-ST with 9.04 preinstalled.
    I upgraded to 9.10 and have not seen any problems yet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Dimension 4600 P4 2.66ghz, 80 gig drive with 1.5gig of memory.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Inspiron 15n (1545)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Dell Precision 470

It's a hulking monstrosity. Dual-CPU motherboard, lots of fans, not my dream setup. Only running one Xeon 3GHz CPU, not two.

I really dislike Dell, but bought this thing from our IT dept. for a pittance (with a legal copy of Windows XP Pro) so what the hey.

As with every Dell I've ever come across, none of the onboard thermal sensors can be accessed, so Speedfan (Windows) and lm-sensors (Linux) give me no feedback.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Inspiron 530n

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    LOL, P3 733 to 1Ghz would be pretty much impossible. Maybe it wouldnt be with liquid nitrogen cooling, but even then I think that the chipset would die, or at least fail too boot (180Mhz FSB is just too much for any intel or via p3 chipset)
    I think this board only supports 100 or 133Mhz FSB anyway. Dell sure didn't make much documentation on doing anything but replacing the processor and memory. It performs well enough since I'm not a gaming-nut. TV and movies play fairly decent. XP would probably run better on it now but I don't even have enough interest in that to look for my license key.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Latitude D630 with Karmic 64bit

I love it, the thing is solidly built and has put up with more than its share of abuse. I've got the model with the Nvidia graphics card which imho the fan and heatsinks are not very good at cooling--but it hasn't damaged anything yet and once I accidentally left the thing on (didn't check to make sure it actually suspended) in an insulated unventilated backpack for 2 hours... oops! I spent ~$40 upgrading the memory to 4GB and the thing even runs windows fast, karmic flies!

There are a few peculiar things that are bothersome (connecting to WPA2 Enterprise networks with AES encryption causes occasional kernel panics, every once in awhile a suspend or resume fails or causes a panic, etc.) and I'm currently having some trouble with NetworkManager very creatively interpreting the position of the wireless switch, but each version bugs are getting fixed and my experience is getting better.

I would definitely recommend this machine to someone, maybe with the disclaimer that it might need to be used in a cooler place if people had graphics card heavy applications.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Kernal Linux 2.6.28-17-generic GNOME 2.26.1
    Memory: 495.9 MiB
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00 GHz
    Avail. disk space 14.0 GiB

Aside from having accessed THIS information, how do I find this other information? It IS a Dell.
    It's not so much about weathering the storm as it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

4 (maybe 5?) year old Dell dimension e520 right now, but I plan to move to a newer laptop by fall.

Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast