Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Howto] Get Touchscreen working with Acer T230H on Karmic (Ubuntu 9.10)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Smile [Howto] Get Touchscreen working with Acer T230H on Karmic (Ubuntu 9.10)

So, it looks like all you need to do in order to get Touchscreen working nicely is install the latest version of the linux kernel (sweet!):
    New Solution!
    Quote Originally Posted by thejeswi.nk View Post
    For those who still haven't figured out how to get their touchscreen running; Just go ahead and install the latest Linux Kernel which has native touch support.
    You can find instructions here.

I finally got my Acer T231H Touch Screen running on Ubuntu.
    Thanks Ubuntu Forums
    My howto for posterity:

I've recently had the pleasure of getting an Acer T230H 23" touchscreen monitor up and running with Ubuntu 9.10. This is a great bright monitor with a fairly responsive touchscreen that would work great for kiosks, and is extremely inexpensive. I was able to get this monitor for $400 CAD!!!

A major source of help for me I've found is a debian lenny wiki documentation of installation on a HP onetwo computer, which surprisingly, uses the same touchscreen system.
    (src: http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDeb...l/OneTwo/Lenny)

Anyhow, let's get started - it may get a bit complicated so if you're shaky on the CLI, you may want to get some help from a friendly linux geekuru.

Firstly, to make sure this works right, please make sure that your lsusb lists this:
    Code:
    :~$ lsusb | grep Quanta
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0408:3000 Quanta Computer, Inc.
    and that your lshal lists the correct device name:
    Code:
    :~$ lshal -u /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_408_3000_noserial_if0_hiddev | grep "hiddev.product"
      hiddev.product = 'Acer T230H'   (string)
    If you don't get similar results to the above, the next couple of configuration file entries may need to be changed to match your system. (Specifically, what product string does lshal list for the touchscreen? What does the lsusb list for the Device ID? Maybe you need a different piece of software?)

Udev Rules

We need to make sure we create a couple of symlinks for system stuff - create a new udev rules file so that we can add the touchscreen as an input device and also reference by name instead of hiddev0
    Code:
    :~$ sudo vim /etc/udev/rules.d/99-touchscreen.rules
    (You can use a different editor if you like.)
    add this into the file:
    Code:
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0408", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3000", SYMLINK+="usb/quanta_touch"
    SUBSYSTEM=="input", KERNEL=="event*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0408", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3000", SYMLINK+="input/quanta_touch"
    Restart udev:
    Code:
    sudo service udev restart
    Compile the xorg module
    Next, grab the xf86-input-hidtouch module from the HidTouch Site on SF.net and apply the attached patch which I took from here:
    http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDeb...l/OneTwo/Lenny
    If you don't know how to apply patches, check out this page:
    http://www.linuxhq.com/patch-howto.html

Go to the parent folder of the extracted hidtouch tarball to apply the patch successfully.

Next, compile. You will need xorg-dev and possibly xorg-server-dev as well as build-essential to compile and install this.
    Code:
    :~$ cd /path/to/extracted/
    :~$ ./configure --prefix=/usr
    :~$ make && sudo checkinstall
    :~$ sudo service gdm restart
    Edit xorg.conf

Edit your xorg.conf (/etc/X11/xorg.conf - create one if necessary) and add this to it:
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier      "Acer T230H"
     Driver          "hidtouch"
     Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
     Option          "ReportingMode"         "Raw"
     Option          "Device"                "/dev/usb/quanta_touch"
     Option          "PacketCount"           "13"
     Option          "OpcodePressure"        "852034"
     Option          "OpcodeX"               "65584"
     Option          "OpcodeY"               "65585"
     Option          "CalibrationModel"      "1"
     Option          "CornerTopLeftX"        "0"
     Option          "CornerTopLeftY"        "0"
     Option          "CornerTopRightX"       "1920" # 1920 for 23"
     Option          "CornerTopRightY"       "0"
     Option          "CornerBottomLeftX"     "0"
     Option          "CornerBottomLeftY"     "1080"  # 1080 for 23"
     Option          "CornerBottomRightX"    "1920" # 1920 for 23"
     Option          "CornerBottomRightY"    "1080"  # 1080 for 23"
     Option          "CornerScreenWidth"     "1920" # 1920 for 23"
     Option          "CornerScreenHeight"    "1080"  # 1080 for 23"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier "Touchscreen"
        InputDevice "Acer T230H" "SendCoreEvents"
    EndSection
    Next, just restart GDM and you should be rocking a new Touchscreen Monitor!

Caveats:
    • This is not a true multitouch monitor, but it can detect two fingers. HOWEVER, the driver does not support the multitouch - yet.
    • Some of this stuff may not be needed, but I wanted to give you all the steps I took to get this working just in case. If some of you more experienced people out there can tell me what isn't needed, please feel free to comment.

Special thank you goes out to kingtaurus for helping me get this going.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by euxneks; November 7th, 2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Added quote for installing latest kernel from thejeswi.nk

Beans

Re: [Howto] Get Touchscreen working with Acer T230H on Karmic (Ubuntu 9.10)

I have just completed a kernel driver that fully handles the T230H: multitouch events plus single touch emulation. When this kernel driver is activated, the device can be used as a touchscreen with the evdev X.org driver, and as a multitouch screen with a patched evdev driver, as explained at http://lii-enac.fr/en/projects/shareit/xorg.html

The driver was submitted for inclusion in Linux 2.6.33. Meanwhile, it is available at http://lii-enac.fr/en/projects/shareit/hid-acer.c and there are instructions at http://lii-enac.fr/en/projects/shareit/linux-howto.html

Thanks to euxneks, I have found out that the panel in the T230H is the same as in some HP displays. This probably means that the driver will be renamed into hid-quanta.c at some point in the future.
    Last edited by StCh; January 11th, 2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Typo in URL

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by StCh View Post
    I have just completed a kernel driver that fully handles the T230H: multitouch events plus single touch emulation. When this kernel driver is activated, the device can be used as a touchscreen with the evdev X.org driver, and as a multitouch screen with a patched evdev driver, as explained at http://lii-enac.fr/en/projects/shareit/xorg.html

The driver was submitted for inclusion in Linux 2.6.33. Meanwhile, it is available at http://lii-enac.fr/en/projects/shareit/hid-acer.c and there are instructions at http://lii-enac.fr/en/projects/shareit/linux-howto.html

Thanks to euxneks, I have found out that the panel in the T230H is the same as in some HP displays. This probably means that the driver will be renamed into hid-quanta.c at some point in the future.

Oh wow! That's fantastic! Thanks for doing this StCh!

Beans

Thanks,
    you two are helping linux out a lot

Beans

Hello all!

I am also very interested in this monitor.

What is your feeling about it? Is it accurate enough for a professional usage? Can you use a pen (instead of you fingers) and hit small things on the display reliably? For example to do some image editing with Gimp or so...?

Thanks for any comments!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hey all-

I just bought the HP L2105tm to use in a kiosk application, and these instructions worked perfectly with Karmic. Many thanks to euxneks!

Unfortunately my luck has been different so far with Jaunty. It's not crucial for me to have it work on Jaunty, but it would be handy. It looks like it should be up, as you can see from the dmesg:

Code:
    [  235.868018] usb 4-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
    [  236.027259] usb 4-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    [  237.950908] usb 4-2: ctrl urb status -75 received
    [  237.958904] usb 4-2: ctrl urb status -75 received
    [  237.960032] generic-usb 0003:0408:3000.0004: hiddev96,hidraw2: USB HID v1.10 Device [Quanta Computer Inc. Optical Touch Screen] on usb-0000:00:1a.1-2/input0
    Any thoughts on this?
    [UPDATE]
    On second reboot, it works perfectly with Jaunty. Yay!
    Last edited by bryanagee; January 18th, 2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: New info

Beans
    Distro

BTW- @phiworld: HP L2105tm comes with a stylus. I haven't played with it enough to issue an opinion on the accuracy, but at first run it seems pretty solid. Better than the little signature pads at the grocers.

Beans
    Distro

Oddly, the accuracy is better with fingers than with the included stylus; it seems to track a ways to the right and a hair below the stylus pointer. The edges of the screen are also a challenge, but the majority of it is very usable.

There is also an odd behavior when operating in multi-head mode; it works, but the X doesn't correct for the additional screen, which makes the cursor off proportionately by touch screenther screen.

Does anyone know if there is a calibration tool that can be used on this?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by phiworld View Post
    Hello all!

I am also very interested in this monitor.

What is your feeling about it? Is it accurate enough for a professional usage? Can you use a pen (instead of you fingers) and hit small things on the display reliably? For example to do some image editing with Gimp or so...?

Thanks for any comments!
    I would say it's more suited to applications such as a public kiosk. The touch screen is a bit sensitive and sometimes it's not too accurate. For what we're using it for, it's perfect, however, I would not recommend using this screen to do intensive editing like gimp or photoshop work

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bryanagee View Post
    Oddly, the accuracy is better with fingers than with the included stylus; it seems to track a ways to the right and a hair below the stylus pointer. The edges of the screen are also a challenge, but the majority of it is very usable.

There is also an odd behavior when operating in multi-head mode; it works, but the X doesn't correct for the additional screen, which makes the cursor off proportionately by touch screenther screen.

Does anyone know if there is a calibration tool that can be used on this?
    You should probably edit the corresponding values in your xorg.conf and add the appropriate offset. For instance, if the touchscreen monitor is your second monitor, add the width of your first monitor to the Corner[Top|Bottom][Left|Right]X value - however, I haven't tested this so you'll have to tell me how well it works out for you (The computer hooked up to it is a small eeeBox)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast