Thread: Wifi and Other WMs in Xubuntu?

Beans

Wifi and Other WMs in Xubuntu?

I installed Xubuntu 9.10 on my notebook, and I'd like to run PekWM and/or Xmonad on it. But how would I connect to wifi, either home or out and about? I typically find wicd used in other distros, but I can't figure out what app Xubuntu uses as a wifi-connection gui. So what would I run in Xmonad? And if I do install wicd, I don't want that to screw up what Xubuntu already uses, since that's how I've got my woman set up on the machine. Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Wifi and Other WMs in Xubuntu?

Your connection manager should be the same, it is installed, regardless of the WM/DE you use. You may have to invoke it through the terminal though, or write a script, depending on how your alternate DM/WM handles menus and installed programs
    No longer participating......

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Catre-Vandis View Post
    Your connection manager should be the same, it is installed, regardless of the WM/DE you use. You may have to invoke it through the terminal though, or write a script, depending on how your alternate DM/WM handles menus and installed programs
    Yes, but what is the name of the manager in Xubuntu? Put another way, what would I "invoke" through dmenu in Xmonad?

Beans
    Hidden!

Have you tried loading a different WM/DE?

If so, check your ifconfig in a terminal. If nothing then its not happening automatically. Post output here. If something, try a ping or loading a website. If that doesn't work, post output here.

EDIT

Have just installed openbox on my Jaunty Xubuntu 9.04 setup. Logged out, logged in again with Openbox, connected to network/internet automatically - in fact this happens before you login!
    Last edited by Jose Catre-Vandis; January 7th, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
    No longer participating......

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Catre-Vandis View Post
    Have you tried loading a different WM/DE?

If so, check your ifconfig in a terminal. If nothing then its not happening automatically. Post output here. If something, try a ping or loading a website. If that doesn't work, post output here.

EDIT

Have just installed openbox on my Jaunty Xubuntu 9.04 setup. Logged out, logged in again with Openbox, connected to network/internet automatically - in fact this happens before you login!
    I've installed PekWM, fluxbox, awesome3, and Xmonad. Nothing magical happens. I can only assume your wifi has no WPA2 or anything of the sort.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Xubuntu ships with the Gnome network manager. You can add the Network Manager Applet to a panel on your desktop and configure it from there. Wicd should work fine if Network Manager doesn't suffice.

-Robin