Thread: Missing / empty kernel headers

Beans

Missing / empty kernel headers

I'm trying to compile the latest pvrusb2 to get support for the 16kb firmware of a new Hauppauge hvr-1950. Unfortunately, when I try to compile it following the directions on www.isely.net/pvrusb2/setup.html it starts smooth then starts spitting a long chain of errors that seem to stem from the first few, namely:
    Code:
    /build/pvrusb2-mci-20091124/driver/pvrusb2-devattr.c:42:22: error: tda18271.h: No such file or directory
    /build/pvrusb2-mci-20091124/driver/pvrusb2-devattr.c:43:21: error: tda8290.h: No such file or directory
    /build/pvrusb2-mci-20091124/driver/pvrusb2-devattr.c:44:26: error: tuner-simple.h: No such file or directory
    I can locate the first two files but when I check them, I get:
    Code:
    file /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-17-generic/include/config/media/tuner/tda18271.h
    /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-17-generic/include/config/media/tuner/tda18271.h: empty
    file /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-17-generic/include/config/media/tuner/tda8290.h
    /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-17-generic/include/config/media/tuner/tda8290.h: empty
    and I can't locate tuner-simple.h at all. Clearly missing and empty headers aren't going to resolve anything. I've installed everything I can think of to ensure the files are there but they are still missing. I have the following installed but no joy locating the files.
    linux-headers-2.6.31-17
    linux-headers-2.6.31-17-generic
    build-essential
    linux-source-2.6.31
    If anyone knows in what package the files reside, I would be very appreciative. Oh, if it matters, I'm running the 64 bit kernel

Beans

Re: Missing / empty kernel headers

Simple solution: I pulled the headers from a suse box and used those. Of course that was after I installed twice, once from cd and again from dvd, both times with a live internet connection. I don't know why ubuntu doesn't provide all the kernel headers. It isn't like there is some need to save a few kB or even MB.