Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Nautilus looks ›odd‹ now.

Beans

Re: Nautilus looks ›odd‹ now.

Quote Originally Posted by berndth View Post
    The way to report such issues are a bug report, which is already existing here. So this would be a good place if you have anything to add to the discussion (except "me too" or "you are f**ing stupid", of course).
    I really hate the tabs at the bottom but the devs really do not need to be abused in any manner at all.

That is just not called for.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I simply thanked him for his work and requested a slight addition to the change that was made, using an email address that he had posted himself. No abuse involved.

I did look at the bug report, but decided not to add to it for several reasons:

1. It really isn't a "bug", i.e. something not working as expected. It's more a "papercut" kind of thing, and i think bug reports should be used only for actual bugs, not feature requests.

2. it's nearly six weeks old and has seen no action and/or response from developers.

3. The people who had already posted on that bug had already fully explained the reasons some found it unhelpful (inconsistent with the UI of nearly all other apps, slowing work-flow, particulary with large screens, etc.) and would have reduced me to a "me too" response.

I may just grab the source code, delete the one line that changed the tab position to the bottom and compile my own version of it.

That way I might even learn something if I'm not careful. <G>
    BootInfoScript - Thanks, meierfra & caljohnsmith

Remastersys - Thanks, Fragadelic

Beans

Has anyone had problems using nautilus/gedit to edit PHP code over remote SSH connections?

I'm getting a lot of corruption when I save files and have to save twice before it works. Lost some code yesterday because I didn't realise what was happening.

Beans
    Distro

For those wanting Nautilus tabs at the top:

I downloaded the source and recompiled it myself, after deleting the line added to the source that made that change.

It's working fine. I used the instructions from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=725734 to do so, with the appropriate changes.

The file that needs to be changed is nautilus-notebook.c

Search for and delete this line:

Code:
    gtk_notebook_set_tab_pos (GTK_NOTEBOOK (notebook), GTK_POS_BOTTOM);
    and recompile. Enjoy the latest Nautilus with the tabs at the top.

Beans

a great emergency contribution, many thanks indeed. would it be in order to ask if you could post your recompiled .deb files somewhere?
    many thanks
    Roger
    Variously Debian, Mint and Xubuntu on my trusty ThinkPad X60s

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rogerdean View Post
    a great emergency contribution, many thanks indeed. would it be in order to ask if you could post your recompiled .deb files somewhere?
    many thanks
    Roger
    I don't have anywhere to put them, but if someone does, I'd be happy to pass them along.

Beans

Aah, it's not so hard actually Here are the files I compiled under VirtualBox...

...removed... see post #102 for a newer file

First, enable source repositories. Extract these 5 .deb files to your home directory, open a terminal, and...

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i nautilus*.deb libnautilus*.deb
    nautilus -q
    If it makes a mess and you want to revert, apparently you type...

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall nautilus nautilus-data nautilus-dbg libnautilus-extension1 libnautilus-extension-dev
    but I've not tested that. Naturally, I'm a complete amateur, so usual disclaimers apply. I post this just to show it works - Nautilus will doubtless have a version step soon and these files will be outdated. I'll remove the download link then

Many thanks to Didius for the actual work on this
    Roger
    Last edited by rogerdean; February 28th, 2010 at 10:35 AM.

Beans

Anyway, I guess the point of all this is that if Nautilus is going to have tabs at the bottom by Lucid release date, Ubuntu could easily patch it. Someone has suggested this on the bug report, so fingers' crossed...

Beans

Well, that was interesting.

Tried compiling the bugger to get the tabs where they belong and it kind of blew up in my face. Did not work at all.

I am sure that the file I edited was fine but I did not get the right number of .debs (I think) and it just didn't work. Went on for a while and then the terminal just exited.

I am bummed. I will try it again one of these days on a different install than this one that I use as my production OS. I have plenty but I like to stay here so boinc can run.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

I think the tabs at the bottom are useful with the dual pane so things don't get to crowded (I guess, though it's not a big deal).

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast