Thread: Question about unattended upgrade packages

Hybrid View

Beans

Question about unattended upgrade packages

Can anyone tell me where on Ubuntu server I can find the name of recent patches/packages installed and the dates when they were installed? Also, I see under /etc/cron.daily/ there is a script named apt. It looks like this is the script that is doing the unattended upgrades, is that correct?

I have an Ubuntu BIND server running that I've just recently built. I've used Ubuntu desktop for a while, but I'm new to the server. Anyway, when I logged in today after being gone for two weeks, there was a console message saying, "*** System restart required ***". So I am assuming that Ubuntu server has an auto-patching feature, similar to Windows Automatic Updates, and I figured that it needed to be restarted after applying some of these patches.

So I decided to check the logs to see what may have been installed, and I found a directory named /var/log/unattended-upgrades that contains many dated files, and one named unattended-upgrades.log. I opened the unattended-upgrades.log file to find a list of upgrade information, however they all say INFO package <name here> not upgraded, or WARNING Package <name here> has conffile prompt and needs to be upgraded manually.

It looks like nothing was actually upgraded, although I still have the System Restart Required prompt. Why would I have to restart if nothing was upgraded? I would like to verify whether or not anything has actually been installed.

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Question about unattended upgrade packages

/var/log/dpkg.log and older copies with number extensions .1 .2 etc

dpkg is the actual package manager that aptitude and apt-get calls.

Beans

Re: Question about unattended upgrade packages

Ok, I see now. Thanks for the help!