Thread: Using amixer to set volume via the terminal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Using amixer to set volume via the terminal

I'm interested in writing a script that increases the volume linearly. Before Ubuntu 9.10 this was relatively simple. I could place "amixer set Master 1+" inside a loop which would iterate the necessary number of times. With the advent of Karmic, however, the sound controller on the panel now modifies both Master and PCM.

From what I can tell it exhibits the following behavior:
    1. At full volume Master and PCM are both 100%
    2. If the volume is decreased PCM is decreased and Master remains at 100%
    3. Once PCM reaches 74% it remains constant and decreasing the volume lowers Master
    4. Once Master reaches 0% it remains constant and decreasing the volume lowers PCM
    5. At no volume Master and PCM are both 0%

I'm sure this behavior is indeed an improvement for most users, but it complicates my script. I could write my script to do exactly what I outlined in the above steps, but I suspect I may be overcomplicating such a simple task. Is there an easier way to do this? Thanks for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Using amixer to set volume via the terminal

You could use the CLI of PulseAudio to modify the volume of the default sink, instead of trying to directly access and modify the PCM and Master volumes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Using amixer to set volume via the terminal

Thanks for your response, but I'm confused by how using PulseAudio will simplify my script. Based on what I gathered from reading over the page you linked the command "pulseaudio -nF set-source-volume input 65536" should set the volume to 100%. Unfortunately it gives me the following error instead:
    Code:
    E: pid.c: Daemon already running.
    E: main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.
    Thanks for your help.