Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandwith question

Beans

Bandwith question

I had a question about bandwith. I ran a few speed tests and I was getting a download rate, (according to them) of 936KB, and upload of 386 KB.
    Yet when I download things, I almost never over 124KB, so why is this?
    I know it has something to do with the servers i download from, but i'm not totally sure.
    Any thoughts?

Beans

Re: Bandwith question

Sounds like you have a 1Mb service. You'll never down load anything at your bandwidth limit. 124Kb seems a little low for 1Mb service but not by much. Try downloading two or three sizeable (20 MB or so) files at the same time, they'll each probably get about 90 - 100 Kb depending on where you get them.
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans

If I download files at that size, the connections get split. One gets 20-25k, the other gets 60k, and the last one gets 10-15K. Is there any way I can get more out of my connection?

Beans
    Hidden!

A number of things can affect performance, including the route the data takes between a server and your machine, traffic intensity on the route, and the quality of your connection. There might even be a longer electronic route between a server that's geographically close than one that's a few hundred (or thousand) miles away. The dynamics of network connections is a rich subject!
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

so then there is nothing I can do?

Beans

so then there is nothing I can do?

Not necessarily.

Read this, it may help allot, a little, or not at all.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The Ubuntu mirrors are all different bandwidths and days behind or up to date. I switched to
    a mirror with larger bandwidth and made big, big difference in download speeds. There are over 325 mirrors though out the world.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors
    Last edited by garvinrick4; January 5th, 2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Sorry nothing I know of for other bandwidth for your other sites.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenWarrior View Post
    I had a question about bandwith. I ran a few speed tests and I was getting a download rate, (according to them) of 936KB, and upload of 386 KB.
    I think you're mixing kilobits and kilobytes:

I you have a 1 Mbps (=1 megabit per second = 1000 kilobit per second) connection, you can download at that speed. However, the important thing is that typical applications (like Firefox) will show the downloadspeed in BYTES per second. As there are 8 bits in 1 byte, and there is protocol overhead, getting 124 kBps (capital B) on a 1000 kbps (small b) is quite good. I normally divide the bits by 10 to get the bytes, which would give you 100 kBps on a 1000 kbps connection.

HTH
    Last edited by sanderj; January 5th, 2010 at 11:06 PM.

Beans

Question Re: Bandwith question

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenWarrior View Post
    I know it has something to do with the servers i download from, but i'm not totally sure.
    Any thoughts?
    if you are using a router try to reset it then give it a new firmware if avalibel then run your setup it worked for me some network companies change from ppoE to ppoA and they have old own brand config in the routers hope it helps. after go to www.tdconline.dk and in the serch box "søg" type 1090 then you have a 100mbit test box "(søg) is danish for serch"

Beans

I think you're mixing kilobits and kilobytes:

I you have a 1 Mbps (=1 megabit per second = 1000 kilobit per second).... As there are 8 bits in 1 byte, and there is protocol overhead, getting 124 kBps (capital B) on a 1000 kbps (small b) is quite good. I normally divide the bits by 10 to get the bytes, which would give you 100 kBps on a 1000 kbps connection.
    1 Mbps should be 1024 KB not 1000

If it's 8 bits to a byte then why are you diving bits by 10 to get bytes? You should be multiplying bits by 8 to get bytes.

Elevenwarrior your 124 KB (assuming F.F.'s KB are actual KB not really Kb) is, now that I did the math, is excellent. 124 X 8 = 992 Kb. That means you're utilizing nearly 100% of your bandwidth. The only way to improve your download speeds would be to pay for a faster connection. I still suggest reading the thread I posted earlier, it will help you to gain a better understanding of things and help you to get your browser itself using your bandwidth and your hardware more efficiently.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast