Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Any thought on SuSE or other distros?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Any thought on SuSE or other distros?

I know this is the ubuntu forum but in the spirit of Linux in general I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on SuSE or other distros.

I like ubuntu a lot but cannot get it to install on a custom PC. I did get SuSE to work but I'm having a hard time making the transition. I don't like yast and I can't figure out how to get things set up. The ubuntu method doesn't work (i.e. apt-get this and dpkg that) and no automatix that I'm aware of.

Their forum is also no where near as active and helpful as this one.

If ubuntu won't work for me, any thoughts on what might? Are there other distros I should consider? I don't want a linux for hackers - I don't know that much. I just want a clean one that works without a ton of effort - something like, well...ubuntu.

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Any thought on SuSE or other distros?

Quote Originally Posted by m.musashi
    I know this is the ubuntu forum but in the spirit of Linux in general I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on SuSE or other distros.

I like ubuntu a lot but cannot get it to install on a custom PC. I did get SuSE to work but I'm having a hard time making the transition. I don't like yast and I can't figure out how to get things set up. The ubuntu method doesn't work (i.e. apt-get this and dpkg that) and no automatix that I'm aware of.

Their forum is also no where near as active and helpful as this one.

If ubuntu won't work for me, any thoughts on what might? Are there other distros I should consider? I don't want a linux for hackers - I don't know that much. I just want a clean one that works without a ton of effort - something like, well...ubuntu.

Thanks.
    Have you tried Mepis? From what I hear it is very easy to install and comes already bundled with the codecs and proprietary software.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mstlyevil
    Have you tried Mepis? From what I hear it is very easy to install and comes already bundled with the codecs and proprietary software.
    No I haven't. Is OSS? I seem to recall having to buy it. That is deal with SuSE too. Buy it and you get most of the multimedia functionality. The OSS version is stripped down.

Is it debian? I don't know what SuSE is but I don't think it's debian. It uses rpms. Not sure what all that means but supposedly has to do with how it works and why it's different from ubuntu.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What exactly does Ubuntu do when you try to install it?

I agree with you. SUSE sucks. It was my first distro, and I really liked it at the time. It started going downhill with version 9.3. I went back to Windows for a little while after that. I came back to Linux sometime last year. I tried Mandriva (hated it), Slackware (liked it, but it didn't fit me), Linspire (hated it), Fedora Core (liked it, but too experimental), and the latest version of SUSE. I was about to go back to Windows, but then I found Ubuntu. I really liked it. It became my operating system of choice for months. I went to Kubuntu for a little while, but ended up switching back to Ubuntu. I still have a Windows partition floating around, but I don't use it much anymore.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BarfBag
    What exactly does Ubuntu do when you try to install it?
    Basically, it goes through the first part and then on reboot kicks out to a shell. It's not a regular prompt and can't do sudo and such. It does not act like it has finished the install as it kicks to the shell before it would normally continue to set up. If I knew what I was doing I could probably make it work, but...

Thanks for the info. I'm totally against Suse but I can't say I'm really liking it. However, since it's all I can't get installed on my desktop it's either that or Windows (actually I'm dual booting ).

Beans

No I haven't. Is OSS? I seem to recall having to buy it. That is deal with SuSE too. Buy it and you get most of the multimedia functionality. The OSS version is stripped down.

Is it debian? I don't know what SuSE is but I don't think it's debian. It uses rpms. Not sure what all that means but supposedly has to do with how it works and why it's different from ubuntu.

Thanks.
    You can download the iso for free on their website. Yes it is Debian and it is based if I am not mistaken on Knoppix.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans

Basically, it goes through the first part and then on reboot kicks out to a shell. It's not a regular prompt and can't do sudo and such. It does not act like it has finished the install as it kicks to the shell before it would normally continue to set up. If I knew what I was doing I could probably make it work, but...

Thanks for the info. I'm totally against Suse but I can't say I'm really liking it. However, since it's all I can't get installed on my desktop it's either that or Windows (actually I'm dual booting ).
    Sounds to me like x-server is not being configured correctly. Have you tried Hoary or Dapper to see if they work?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Try Mepis. Great thing is you try the live CD, if you like it you click the install icon, well thought out distro.
    The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

SuSE looks cool.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mstlyevil
    Sounds to me like x-server is not being configured correctly. Have you tried Hoary or Dapper to see if they work?
    I tried an early Dapper (flight 3 I think) with no luck. I didn't try Hoary. I think the main problem is the lack of support for my hardware - specifically the mobo. Even SuSE has problems and I was told by nvidia I would kernel 2.6.15 or newer to get some things to work (sound and network) so Hoary is probably going in the wrong direction. Maybe I'll give flight 4 a try or the Mepis thing. It seems a good posibility.

What I'd really like is to see dapper have more acpi support built in. That seems to be a big factor in the problems I'm having and everyone else with the board (nice long thread on the nvidia site about it). Also seems to be problems with distribution tables but I don't really understand all that.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast