Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banshee will not detect iPod Classic 80GB

Beans

Banshee will not detect iPod Classic 80GB

Hello all,

I have an 80GB iPod Classic that Banshee did recognize before I made the move from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10, but now it will not.

The iPod is visible on my desktop, and I can mount it, eject it, open it up and browse through it, but Banshee will not detect it.

Help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Banshee will not detect iPod Classic 80GB

This is a really common issue for Ubuntu 9.10 users. 9.10 changed the way disks are mounted, and Banshee was a little behind. The issue has been fixed in recent versions of Banshee (and, more specifically, its iPod-detecting tool called Podsleuth).

Adding the Banshee Daily Build PPA to your software sources will let you upgrade to a version of Banshee that doesn't have this issue.

If you don't want to do things that way, you can turn off auto-mounting. Run (Alt-F2) gconf-editor. Navigate to apps > nautilus > preferences and uncheck the media_automount box. This will keep devices from automatically mounting, which will let Banshee see the iPod.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Beans

boombox: won't that keep other media to mount automatically? i have all my music on a USB drive and I really like th idea of automounting for this device... is there an option in which I can select what devices mount automatically? Thankx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Adbekunkus View Post
    boombox: won't that keep other media to mount automatically?
    Unfortunately yes. If you turn automounting off, it's off for all devices.

i have all my music on a USB drive and I really like th idea of automounting for this device... is there an option in which I can select what devices mount automatically? Thankx
    Automounting is all or nothing. The good news is, Banshee 1.5.3 is scheduled for release tomorrow! Don't even worry about that whole automounting thing; just get a new Banshee that doesn't have broken iPod support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just installed the banshee-team ppa and updated my system and everything works again! My god is it nice to be able to sync an ipod from Bnashee.

There's a bunch of other useful features that have been added as well (watching folders is my favourite).

Beans

I installed the banshee team ppa and updated Banshee and iPod is now detected, but Banshee doesn't recognize the music in it: in the graph that indicates the type and amount of data in my ipod, it's all read as "other" (I attached the screen print). Any ideas of why this happens? Thanx a lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Adbekunkus; February 6th, 2010 at 04:46 AM.

Beans

I was glad to find this thread, as it fits my situation exactly (Karmic, Classic 80GB) buy I'm sorry to say that, unfortunately, none of this is working for me. I disabled media mounting in Nautilus, installed the newest Banshee (1.5.3) and nothing.

I have even resorted to uninstalling and re-installing Banshee, rebooting several times, disconnecting and reconnecting the Ipod several times, and no love.

Just curious, if I examine the version information under Help > Version Information, Banshee-related files report as 1.5.0.0. Should this be?

Also, with auto-mounting of media disabled in Nautilus, the Ipod still appears in the sidebar of the Nautilus window, but as near as I can tell is not actually mounted unless I click on it. Is this the behaviour I should be expecting?

Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cdeobald View Post

Just curious, if I examine the version information under Help > Version Information, Banshee-related files report as 1.5.0.0. Should this be?
    I don't know how the versioning information there is decided, but I regularly build my Banshee from source, and most of the versions for me also say 1.5.0.0, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cdeobald View Post
    Also, with auto-mounting of media disabled in Nautilus, the Ipod still appears in the sidebar of the Nautilus window, but as near as I can tell is not actually mounted unless I click on it. Is this the behaviour I should be expecting?
    Yes, this is the expected - slightly less convenient - behavior that goes along with disabling media_automount. Devices show up when you plug them in, but they aren't mounted until you click on them. Banshee won't be able to see the device until you've mounted it. Also, if you have Banshee 1.5.3, you don't need to have media_automount off anymore.

If Banshee still can't see your iPod, even when you've mounted it in Nautilus, you might want to open up a terminal and run 'podsleuth --rescan'. Podsleuth is Banshee's tool for detecting iPods, so it will let you know if you find anything. If the problem remains, post back here and I'll be happy to help as much as I can.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I installed the banshee team ppa and updated Banshee and iPod is now detected, but Banshee doesn't recognize the music in it: in the graph that indicates the type and amount of data in my ipod, it's all read as "other" (I attached the screen print). Any ideas of why this happens? Thanx a lot.
    Hmm, well at least it sees your iPod, so that's a good start. Have you ever used your iPod with Banshee before? or was it last used with iTunes? With some iPods, Banshee won't be able to read the iTunes database format, but if that's the case, Banshee should have offered to rebuild the database for you.

Beans

Thanks for the help. Mounting the Ipod and running podsleuth did the trick. The Ipod had never been synced with Banshee. I had been using Itunes running on XP within Virtualbox ever since Songbird abandoned Ipod support. I've been looking for solution within Linux for a while now, and I'm hoping that Banshee fits the bill.

As I'm writing this, Banshee is performing a re-build on the database, so we'll see how things go from there.

If I have to run podsleuth each time, I'm OK with that, but it may be that once I've synced with Banshee once it will have a better time recognizing the beast.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast