Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.10 can't connect to windows 7 share

Beans

9.10 can't connect to windows 7 share

Relatively new to linux - please bear with me.

My laptop has Ubuntu 9.10. It can connect to shares on my XP and Vista computers without issue, but cannot connect to a share on my Windows 7 system.

I'm using "Connect to Server" and have tried by both Computer name and IP address. When I click connect, it prompts me for User ID, workgroup and password, however when I enter them, the same prompt comes back a few seconds later and is blank. I don't receive any errors, it just won't connect.

My XP and Vista systems can connect to the Windows 7 share, just not the Ubuntu system.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 9.10 can't connect to windows 7 share

Are you using the username and password that you have set in Win 7?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Are you using the username and password that you have set in Win 7?
    Sure am. Would there be a security setting on the Win 7 system that needs to be modified?
    Last edited by Ravenshoe; January 4th, 2010 at 04:09 AM.

Beans

I too am getting this problem - please help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's a known issue for Win7 shares - I believe it is discussed in the Karmic release notes. Supposedly it will be fixed in a future maintenance release.

What that doesn't seem to explain is the problem with XP shares, and I am also experiencing this. Sadly, Karmic has also been the lease stable version of Ubuntu I have used. I'm seriously considering reverting to 9.04, which gave me no issues such as I am experiencing on 9.10. It's either that or Arch, which I don't have time to set up right now.

Beans

[QUOTE=Wollombi;8638856]It's a known issue for Win7 shares - I believe it is discussed in the Karmic release notes. Supposedly it will be fixed in a future maintenance release.

Ahhh.... Thanks - I didn't know that. Karmic seems pretty good so I'll stick with it for now. Hopefully this can be fixed soon.

Beans

I know it's stupid and immature to say "i have this problem too" but... i have this problem too.

I tried enabling different services in my windows 7 but nothing seems to work

The guys developing Linux Mint have this problem too (regarding linux mint version 8)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I am having the same problem, but the weird thing for me is that I was not having this problem until I reinstalled Windows 7. Any ideas why reinstalling Windows would initiate this problem? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I found the following thread and I was able to resolve my problem. I had to uninstall the Windows Live ID sign-in assistant from the Windows 7 PC. I guess that I had never installed this prior in reinstalling Windows. I hope this helps anyone else with the same problem...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169149

Beans

Smile Re: 9.10 can't connect to windows 7 share

@dstein
    thanks
    your solution actually worked for me. The problem was the live sign-in assistant!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast