Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Unable to play MKV video

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    47

    Unable to play MKV video

    Hi,
    I am using Lubuntu 12.04. I am not able to play mkv files in my VLC player. The audio works fine but the video doesnt show. Please help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Beans
    6,837

    Re: Unable to play MKV video

    Can you post one of the problem files online somewhere?
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    47

    Re: Unable to play MKV video

    It's a movie file. And its definitely not the file that has the problem, because I cant play any file in mkv format. I have tried quite a few with the same result. Only audio, no video.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Beans
    31
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Unable to play MKV video

    Quote Originally Posted by hiranyaroma View Post
    It's a movie file. And its definitely not the file that has the problem, because I cant play any file in mkv format. I have tried quite a few with the same result. Only audio, no video.
    What video player are you using to play the file? If you can try a different player like VLC as this will come with the most common codecs for video and audio playback out of the box.

    EDIT - I didn't read your first post properly. You may need to install the packages 'lubuntu-restricted-addons' and 'lubuntu-restricted-extras' (in a terminal just type in 'sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-addons lubuntu-restricted-extras' then press enter, then enter your password then enter again and keep on pressing 'y' when you are prompted).
    Last edited by willbe1kenobi; June 8th, 2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: see EDIT

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    47

    Re: Unable to play MKV video

    Quote Originally Posted by willbe1kenobi View Post
    What video player are you using to play the file? If you can try a different player like VLC as this will come with the most common codecs for video and audio playback out of the box.

    EDIT - I didn't read your first post properly. You may need to install the packages 'lubuntu-restricted-addons' and 'lubuntu-restricted-extras' (in a terminal just type in 'sudo apt-get install lubuntu-restricted-addons lubuntu-restricted-extras' then press enter, then enter your password then enter again and keep on pressing 'y' when you are prompted).
    Lubuntu restricted extras and addons are already the newest version. I have installed both the packages. Will this help?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683
    I tried downloading medibuntu repo, but the terminal showed an error saying that a self signed certificate has been encountered.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Metro Boston
    Beans
    8,096
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Unable to play MKV video

    Have you tried any other players? I've found smplayer with mplayer as the backend will play just about any Matroska file I've thrown at it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Beans
    680
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Unable to play MKV video

    What are your computer specs?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    47

    Re: Unable to play MKV video

    Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Have you tried any other players? I've found smplayer with mplayer as the backend will play just about any Matroska file I've thrown at it.
    I have tried the default player in lubuntu (GNOME MPlayer) with no luck. After you suggested, I also tried smplayer. Unlike VLC this doesnt even play the audio.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    47

    Re: Unable to play MKV video

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyBuntu View Post
    What are your computer specs?
    Computer Specs:

    Memory: 2 GB
    Processor: Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 180 × 2
    Graphics: VESA: MACH64GM
    Video card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Rage XL
    OS type: 32 bit
    Disk: 250 GB

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Beans
    31
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Unable to play MKV video

    Is there any error message that is given to you by the program like saying certain codecs/libraries missing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •