Thread: Can't see Windows PC in Network. Avahi error on starup.

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Can't see Windows PC in Network. Avahi error on starup.

Ever since 9.10 I have had no connectivity to my windows network. My system runs just fine, just no windows connectivity with this error message at startup:

"Network service discovery disabled. Your current network has a .local domain, which is not recommended and incompatible with the Avahi network service discovery. The service has been disabled."

I have my Ubuntu PC on a wired connection to a wired/wireless router with DCHP and on a cable modem.

I have tried modifying smb.conf to a very simple version. That lets my Windows XP PC see my Ubuntu machine but not the other way around.

ufw is turned off. I have uninstalled Firestarter. My windows PC firewall allows my IP range.

I tried most things in the following post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=avahi+.local

This helps some as I can at least mount my windows network, but all I see is my Ubuntu machine set up through Samba but not my windows PC. I still see the error message at startup.

In my previous versions, Samba connected just fine in default form to my windows network on my router with DCHP. I could see my entire network. Not any more. Just getting that pesky Avahi error message. Any ideas? Can anyone help me understand the difference between Samba and Avahi?
    -----------
    cscomp3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can't see Windows PC in Network. Avahi error on starup.

I changed the router back to a cisco product and networking came back. The dell version did not work. I flashed the dell router with dd-wrt and it is now a bridging router. My Ubuntu box now even works through the dell.
    -----------
    cscomp3