Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: GRUB2 theming for lucid?

Beans

Re: GRUB2 theming for lucid?

Quote Originally Posted by Netich View Post
    - I have some flickering in sora theme. I dont know if its related to my cheap intel GPU though...
    Sora theme is quite complicated and have many bitmaps, so it could run a little slow on some machine. Themes like ubuntu is pretty fast though. Also, grub-emu may flicker a bit in Linux, but it runs quite smooth on Windows (could be caused by different SDL implementation).

- XP get the windows logo for me, but Windows 7 (W7 loader in fact) dont get any logo. I dont know if i should uninstall W7 loader, but i would prefer to have it there just in case (with 0 seconds), and BURG to detect the loader and put the W7 logo.
    It depends on os-prober to detect OS, perhaps os-prober doesn't get it right, or maybe it uses a different label for W7. You can open /boot/grub/grub.cfg and see what's the --class value of W7 entry.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bean123 View Post
    After some checking, the sora theme does the right thing and put input focus in the icon row at start-up, I think you may have used up/down key to stop the timeout, which move input to the tools icon at the same time.
    I can confirm this bug. Even if I use left/right keys to stop the timeout, I need to press tab/down to get focus to OS chooser box.

BTW, BURG is a great piece of software, thanks a lot bean123.

Beans

After some checking, the sora theme does the right thing and put input focus in the icon row at start-up, I think you may have used up/down key to stop the timeout, which move input to the tools icon at the same time.
    ok, i rebooted four times now to be really sure. input focus is definitely not on the tool icon, that's right, yet there is no reaction on left/right keys. i have to hit <tab> twice, first to put focus on the tool icon, then to put focus on the icon row, only then left/right keys show the expected reaction.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    ok, i rebooted four times now to be really sure. input focus is definitely not on the tool icon, that's right, yet there is no reaction on left/right keys. i have to hit <tab> twice, first to put focus on the tool icon, then to put focus on the icon row, only then left/right keys show the expected reaction.
    Have you set the value of GRUB_DEFAULT ? BTW, does this also happen in grub-emu ?
    Last edited by bean123; January 8th, 2010 at 03:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi,
    Until yesterday everything OK ...
    Grub is installed on a partition /dev/sda4 theme Chiva - ok
    Today, when you auto-update to version (1.97+burg.20100108-1~ppa6) i have a problem.
    Grub will not install on the partition /dev/sda4 (or root) is not mbr, mbr=Chameleon:
    Disk GPT/mbr
    Code:
    zet120@zet120-desktop:~$ sudo grub-install --force  "(hd0,4)"
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a partition instead of the MBR.  This is a BAD idea.
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and its use is discouraged.
    Segmentation fault
    Any idea?

Beans

Have you set the value of GRUB_DEFAULT ? BTW, does this also happen in grub-emu ?
    i have left all the scripts like they came except for adding the themeand changing gfxmode to 1680x1050

GRUB_DEFAULT=0 (what does this mean?)

this does not happen in grub-emu, but there it accepts keystrokes only after the timeout.
    Last edited by McDuff; January 8th, 2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: additional info

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    i have left all the scripts like they came except for adding the themeand changing gfxmode to 1680x1050

GRUB_DEFAULT=0 (what does this mean?)

this does not happen in grub-emu, but there it accepts keystrokes only after the timeout.
    Very odd indeed. Perhaps you can try some other themes as well and see if there is similar issue.

Beans

Very odd indeed. Perhaps you can try some other themes as well and see if there is similar issue.
    same thing with theme ubuntu. only <tab> interrupts the timeout, cursor has no effect.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zet120 View Post
    Hi,
    Until yesterday everything OK ...
    Grub is installed on a partition /dev/sda4 theme Chiva - ok
    Today, when you auto-update to version (1.97+burg.20100108-1~ppa6) i have a problem.
    Grub will not install on the partition /dev/sda4 (or root) is not mbr, mbr=Chameleon:
    Disk GPT/mbr
    Code:
    zet120@zet120-desktop:~$ sudo grub-install --force  "(hd0,4)"
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a partition instead of the MBR.  This is a BAD idea.
    /usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and its use is discouraged.
    Segmentation fault
    Any idea?
    I've tracked down a regression in recent code, you can try replacing /usr/sbin/grub-setup with the one from attachment and see if it works.
    Last edited by bean123; January 9th, 2010 at 02:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Yes, it is working.
    Code:
    zet120@zet120-desktop:~$ sudo grub-install --force /dev/sda4
    Installation finished. No error reported.
    sora - OK
    chiva - OK

Thanks.

Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast