Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: GRUB2 theming for lucid?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GRUB2 theming for lucid?

Quote Originally Posted by vishalrao View Post
    i believe update-grub2 is now moved to update-grub and its now just a different script thats calls update-grub anyway - if you just "cat `which update-grub`" and "cat `update-grub2`" to look at the contents...
    Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    No it should not.

The "update-grub2" command was a temporary hack for 1.96 so that people would not screw with the Ubuntu alpha grub2 on Karmic alpha2. It has not been needed for a long time back into the 9.10 pre-release days. It still works (I think) but only because it hasn't been fixed (why remove it?).

I wish folks would quit referring to it, it is clumsy and obsolete.
    thanks guys, i did not know that...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bean123 View Post
    Right, I think 10_linux should be smart enough to detect the distribution. Any idea how to get the OS name ?
    I just edited those scripts, 10_linux, 30_os-prober and 40_custom so that it adds the bolded part " menuentry "blah" --class os_name { " based on the partition labels which i added via gparted for windows, ubuntu, fedora and arch...

not sure if this will get overwritten with the next set of updates or if it will even prompt to merge...
    Desktop: Unbranded, Q6600 2.4 ghz CPU, Intel DP35DP mobo, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 128 GB SSD, NVIDIA 8800GT, Dell E248WFP LCD.
    Laptop: HP Pavilion tx1302au Turion64 X2 TL-58 1.9 ghz CPU, NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB SSD, Broadcom 4321 Wifi.

Beans

Yep, you need to switch input focus from terminal window to the SDL window.
    i haven't noticed any message that tell me to use <tab> to do so. perhaps this should be added?

Right, I think 10_linux should be smart enough to detect the distribution. Any idea how to get the OS name ?
    sadly, i do not really have an idea of programming but i could imagine 10_linux to parse the title lines which usually contain the distribution's name to match the strings in a list of distribution names and add the appropriate class parameter, and if no match is found, add generic class linux.

Now burg uses the result of os-prober to set the --class parameter (previously it's empty). However, sora theme doesn't include icons for some OS, but it's quite easy to add. Add the system icon to icons directory, then edit icons/icons.txt, add the entry for your OS. You can examine the generated grub.cfg to decide which OS label to use.
    i've looked into grub.cfg and found out, that os-prober set --class SuSE, which it found to be the variable OSLABEL. what would ubuntu provide as OSLABEL? has anybody tried that? does every linux distribution provide a similar one? thus no linux distribution would be --classified as linux so none shows an icon but those few in the theme?

Beans

If you look in the 10_linux script, there's a variable called GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR.

So at line 62, that's the line in my file, you'll see this line

printf "menuentry \"${title}\" --class Linux {\n" "${os}"

Replace Linux with ${GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR} and it should replace it with the right distro. I only have Ubuntu so i'm not sure if it works with other distros, but it works for Ubuntu.

Now my problem is that none of the images are showing up. All the text shows up, but none of the images. I can get it going for the sora theme, but the menu looks messed up. Anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: Figured it out. For sora you have to take out the comment for GRUB_TERMINAL=console and add the line . /boot/grub/themes/sora/theme.cfg in the 40_custom script. But for any of the other themes you comment out GRUB_TERMINAL=console and leave out the line for the sora config.
    Last edited by khabu; January 8th, 2010 at 06:03 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    i haven't noticed any message that tell me to use <tab> to do so. perhaps this should be added?
    Oh, I misunderstand you the last time. Actually, the <tab> issue is an issue of the sora theme, it has a small system icon on top, which gets input focus when at startup. Therefore, you need to use <tab> or <down> to select the second row. This is not difficult to fix.

i've looked into grub.cfg and found out, that os-prober set --class SuSE, which it found to be the variable OSLABEL. what would ubuntu provide as OSLABEL? has anybody tried that? does every linux distribution provide a similar one? thus no linux distribution would be --classified as linux so none shows an icon but those few in the theme?
    Unfortunately, os-prober don't detect the current os, so it can't use OSLABEL to decide OS name. However, the ${GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR} solution khabu described works well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm getting the Tux logo for Lucid. I want the Ubuntu logo.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by khabu View Post
    If you look in the 10_linux script, there's a variable called GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR.

So at line 62, that's the line in my file, you'll see this line

printf "menuentry \"${title}\" --class Linux {\n" "${os}"

Replace Linux with ${GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR} and it should replace it with the right distro. I only have Ubuntu so i'm not sure if it works with other distros, but it works for Ubuntu.
    Thanks a lot for the tip, I would modify 10_linux to use ${GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR} in the next version.

Now my problem is that none of the images are showing up. All the text shows up, but none of the images. I can get it going for the sora theme, but the menu looks messed up. Anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: Figured it out. For sora you have to take out the comment for GRUB_TERMINAL=console and add the line . /boot/grub/themes/sora/theme.cfg in the 40_custom script. But for any of the other themes you comment out GRUB_TERMINAL=console and leave out the line for the sora config.
    With GRUB_TERMINAL=console, it starts in text mode instead of graphic mode, so you should always comment it out. The sora theme should work with GRUB_THEME, you don't need to change 40_custom script directly.
    Last edited by bean123; January 8th, 2010 at 07:53 AM.

Beans

Just upload a new version of ppa6 that detect Ubuntu properly in 10_linux, should be available in a few hours.

The build is complete now, package name 1.97+burg.20100108-1~ppa6, available for both karmic and lucid.
    Last edited by bean123; January 8th, 2010 at 09:14 AM.

Beans

Oh, I misunderstand you the last time. Actually, the <tab> issue is an issue of the sora theme, it has a small system icon on top, which gets input focus when at startup. Therefore, you need to use <tab> or <down> to select the second row. This is not difficult to fix.
    After some checking, the sora theme does the right thing and put input focus in the icon row at start-up, I think you may have used up/down key to stop the timeout, which move input to the tools icon at the same time.

Beans

bean123, congratulations for your work. Maybe its just one second, but for some people (I always think in my father for usability issues ) GRUB can be that black screen where you dont have to touch anything or you'll break the computer.

So two big logos is the way to go, without losing all the potential Grub have (terminal, several linux kernels, memtest...)

Just two questions:
    - I have some flickering in sora theme. I dont know if its related to my cheap intel GPU though...

- XP get the windows logo for me, but Windows 7 (W7 loader in fact) dont get any logo. I dont know if i should uninstall W7 loader, but i would prefer to have it there just in case (with 0 seconds), and BURG to detect the loader and put the W7 logo.

Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast