Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: GRUB2 theming for lucid?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: GRUB2 theming for lucid?

yes, its trying to load helvetica-bold-27 and 29... so i just symlinked to the existing -24 one... and make sure the "loadfont ..." calls include them in the final generated grub.cfg

note i just added GRUB_THEME=sora to /etc/default/grub and not the ". /blah/theme.cfg" line to 40_custom... so i meddled around a bit...

i needed to add symlinks in /boot/grub to the font and sora folders in the /boot/grub/themes directory because either there is a bug or i misconfigured and its looking in /boot/grub instead of /boot/grub/themes ... HTH
    Desktop: Unbranded, Q6600 2.4 ghz CPU, Intel DP35DP mobo, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 128 GB SSD, NVIDIA 8800GT, Dell E248WFP LCD.
    Laptop: HP Pavilion tx1302au Turion64 X2 TL-58 1.9 ghz CPU, NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB SSD, Broadcom 4321 Wifi.

Beans

Interestingly enough, Mint already had Grub2 before Ubuntu - and even Ubuntu 9.10 doesn't have a graphical boot menu. It will soon, though, and maybe 10.04 LTS will have GrubSplash?
    Last edited by k64; January 3rd, 2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Added Link to Mint

Beans
    Distro

im guessing Lucid (LTS) wont have it, though lucid+1 fo shizzle ma nizzle...
    Desktop: Unbranded, Q6600 2.4 ghz CPU, Intel DP35DP mobo, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 128 GB SSD, NVIDIA 8800GT, Dell E248WFP LCD.
    Laptop: HP Pavilion tx1302au Turion64 X2 TL-58 1.9 ghz CPU, NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB SSD, Broadcom 4321 Wifi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That's very nice ! Ubuntu should have it !
    "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail"

Jubarte - Telecommunications Engineering Suite
    http://sites.google.com/site/jubartecalc/

Beans
    Distro

vish, can you give a more specific walkthrough of the changes you needed to make?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I want the penguin bootloader!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0szKrjzXMw0

More seriously: Will such bootloaders be possible with grub2?
    I remember seeing bootloader games somewhere once.

Beans
    Distro

Penguin lemmings for a bootloader? I may just have to switch to OpenSUSE. </half-sarcasm>

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Starks View Post
    vish, can you give a more specific walkthrough of the changes you needed to make?
    ah i've run out of weekend time i'll get back to this later in the evening or perhaps during the weekend again, in the mean time will put a rough sequence from memory:

1. add the burg karmic ppa (works for my kubuntu lucid install).
    2. run apt-get update && apt-get safe-upgrade (to replace grub-pc etc).
    3. download and extract sora theme so you have /boot/grub/themes/sora folder structure. also download the other "proto/ubuntu/winter" theme set to get /boot/grub/themes/fonts etc.
    4. create symlinks one level higher so you have /boot/grub/sora, /boot/grub/fonts etc (maybe i needed to do this coz i screwed up somewhere)
    5. in /etc/default/grub add "GRUB_THEME=sora", i also uncommented/added "GRUB_GFXMODE=1920x1200" for my monitor.
    6. just look at the files (theme.txt and theme.cfg etc) in the themes/sora folder to get an idea of whats going on inside.
    7. edit /etc/grub.d/10_linux, 30_os-prober, 40_custom etc scripts so that the generated "menuentry" lines in /boot/grub/grub.cfg have the part like "--class ubuntu" or "--class windows" or "--class arch" like "menuentry "Ubuntu xxxx" --class ubuntu { " so that the theme can pick the icons to match the OS! else it displays the generic "unknown" PNGs.
    8. edit /boot/grub/themes/sora/icons/icons.txt to include lines for your OS icons (i added for arch and fedora after making simple PNGs)
    9. run update-grub and inspect the generated /boot/grub/grub.cfg - check that you have "loadfont Helvetica-Bold-27.pnf2" etc lines in there.
    10. /boot/grub/themes/fonts only has helvetica bold 24 (for me) so i just added symlinks to it for sizes 27 and 29 which the theme seems to want to load.
    11. rerun update-grub if any last-minute fixes.
    12. reboot with fingers crossed
    13. if any problems (missing images, corrupt font, cant boot etc), just boot off live CD, follow "grub2 restore" partial steps to chroot into your install to continue editing to make more fixes and run update-grub.
    14. rinse and repeat, till you have your fresh smelling boot eye candy!

BTW anyone tried the other grub2 experiemental PPA linked in a previous post by sevenmachines? got any other sweet-looking themes to try out?
    Last edited by vishalrao; January 4th, 2010 at 05:39 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMachines View Post
    burg uses a modified version of colin bennetts gfxmenu code. the original code has been merged into grub experimental if any brave souls are looking to play with it. it needed a little work the last time i checked but did work ok.
    i believe there was a long thread on this during the karmic release (and also in arch) and a few of the screenshots made it onto the grub2 community documentation
    Yep, you're right. BURG's menu system is completely differently than Colin's. Colin's menu is basically an extension of existing menu, it just allows you to use fancy image. But BURG is much more, it allows you to control the behavior as well, such as define new keyboard hot-keys. There are also advanced features like customized password dialog, popup menu, multiple terminal window, terminal as edit box, etc.

BTW, binary package for Lucid would be available soon.

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: GRUB2 theming for lucid?

THANK YOU for jumping in bean!!!! Please keep us advised as to when things will be available....I'm looking forward to testing it!!!!
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast