Thread: ubuntu, enlightenment and cairo-dock together??

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

ubuntu, enlightenment and cairo-dock together??

I would like to know if anyone else is running the enlightenment desktop on Ubuntu (karmic) with cairo-dock? I have an older computer and find that running enlightenment is the best way of getting better performance with some great desktop features. Unfortunately enlightenment lacks a quality dock, so I had hoped that cairo-dock would work well with e17 -- but I've had some problems and have to run a combination of enlightenment taskbar and pager, with the CD launcher.

Let me know if you are are running enlightenment with only cairo-dock... and what kind of compatibility issues you are having.

Beans

Re: ubuntu, enlightenment and cairo-dock together??

I don't know what you consider a 'quality dock', but I'm happy with itask-ng.

I did use cairo-dock once, but not on karmic; I think there were issues or the plugins or what do you call them didn't work properly, or I didn't find it lightweight enough. Anyway, specify your problems; maybe someone can help out. This forum is also very helpful.

Beans
    Distro

There are a couple features that I wish itask-ng had:
    - I would like the launcher to have an "indicator" for icons (apps) that are running (either min, max or both) -- instead of showing in the taskbar
    - I haven't figured out how to make the background transparent (maybe there isn't a way to do this)
    - itask-ng launcher doesn't always find or recognize app icons (many of the launcher icons have to be manually selected).
    - somehow I cannot make itask-ng always show as a focused and active app (ie the bar is always looks dimmed)

If any of these can be fixed, please let me know...

Cairo-dock, when compared with itask-ng, has many many more features that I like... but the above are the most important for me... and if I could get these implemented I would switch back to itask-ng.

Quote Originally Posted by VCoolio View Post
    I don't know what you consider a 'quality dock', but I'm happy with itask-ng.

I did use cairo-dock once, but not on karmic; I think there were issues or the plugins or what do you call them didn't work properly, or I didn't find it lightweight enough. Anyway, specify your problems; maybe someone can help out. This forum is also very helpful.

Beans
    Distro

Anyway, specify your problems; maybe someone can help out. This forum is also very helpful.
    BTW, thanks for the link to the forum... it looks helpful, and I will give it a try.

Beans

The first one isn't possible I think.
    To make itask-ng transparant:
    settings > itask-ng and set the 'background transparancy' slider to the left and / or uncheck the second box in the middle named 'Show Background Box'.
    As for the third issue I'm not sure; I make .desktop files in ~/.local/share/applications, or hit 'edit icon' on a right click.
    Your 4th issue I don't understand; maybe post a screenshot.

Beans
    Distro

I've attached a screenshot...
    1) you can see that I still haven't found two app icons -- that do work on CD
    2) you can see that itask-ng is very dim compared to the cairo-desktop (so are the other shelves) -- and I don't know why...

As for the third issue I'm not sure; I make .desktop files in ~/.local/share/applications, or hit 'edit icon' on a right click.
    Your 4th issue I don't understand; maybe post a screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

you should focus on 1 problem at once
    but I've had some problems and have to run a combination of enlightenment taskbar and pager, with the CD launcher.
    what kind of problems ??

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fabounet View Post
    you should focus on 1 problem at once
    what kind of problems ??
    Okay... first question: As per the screenshot attachment in my prior message, how do I make itask-ng always "bright" (or focused) like the cairo-dock?

Beans

I was thinking of the problems you encounter with CD ^_^
    can't help you with itask