Thread: Thoughts on the Acer 5315 overheating

Beans

Angry Thoughts on the Acer 5315 overheating

Hi.

My problem is a veyr known one: Acer Aspire 5315 overheating, caused by the improperly working of the fan.

The fan is in perfect state, the real problem is on the hardware (MAYBE THE SOFTWARE???) controlling the velocity of cooling. There are A LOT of post about it and it can be classified on 3 types:

*Those guys that do not read the previous posts and are wondering if the fan is dirty or something like that.

*Those guys proposing a very colourful set of solutions but all of which do not solve the problem, as indicated by themselves in the later posts.

*Those guys suggesting that a BIOS update is the fixing solution, some proving it correctnesss, some discarding it.

Well, I want to know if there is a FIXING COMMAND or FINE HACKING WORK I can implement on the terminal . I have to say that the fan only turns on when the notebook boots the kernel while it is very hot, not on those times it starts from cool. Im afraid of do a BIOS update, they say it leaves my laptop DEAD.

Im a Fedora user, but they really have a few posts (FedoraForums.org) about this issue when compared with you, Ubuntu users...Hope help. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Thoughts on the Acer 5315 overheating

Also my problem with overheating is gone after updating my bios from v1.29 to v 1.43. I kicked of Vista, but could update anyway with an iso described in msg 39 on https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/451337
    The fan runs every now and then, I hope it will be enough. Strangely it works, despite I turned off acpi in the boot and told grub to use the acpi of Linux.
    Last edited by joeganda; January 18th, 2010 at 01:01 AM.

Beans

Hi joeganda. Im really afraid of performing that update. The image of a dead motherboard on my head is still bothering me!
    Also your notebook turned on the fan when it starts from hot? Do you use ubuntu?

Beans

If you have master degree in kernel developing you need to download sources for acerhdf module and find the acerhdf.c file
    and add proper lines for 5315, unfortunately there are described solutions on internet for other models of acer just not for 5315

Beans

Hi,
    I know absolutely nothing about ubuntu but have managed to install it on my ACER 5315 before I read the posts about the overheating problem in these forums. I quickly found out that my fan was not working and it shut down the laptop much to my surprise.

Today I was running it on a laptop riser with built in fan powered from the USB on the Acer to keep it cool so I could update Ubuntu for the first time and this is strange because after re-booting the fan now appears to work????????????????????

I set it to hibenate and start up again and the fan still works so my question is has any of the new Ubuntu updates got a FIX included for this problem?

Puzzled but so far pleased

Beans

Hi,

I had the same fan & overheating problem on Acer Aspire 5315 (bought in UK). Although I was a bit weary after reading so many forums, I managed to update my BIOS.

However, instead of flashing in Vista using the .exe application with BIOSv1.45 (from this ACER.CO.UK site: http://www.acer.co.uk/acer/service.d...CRC=3713735360 ),

I used the live CD ISO (FreeDOS) prepared by Angel Garcia and following Groszman's instructions. Read this post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1043129.html

It helped me, I now have BIOS v1.43 and my fan works perfectly under Ubuntu and LiveUSB with PSlinuxOS e17.

(by the way, v1.43 of BIOS seems to be the latest on ACER.COM site:
    http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/ftp/ftp.html)

I hope it helps.

Beans

The dropbox file no longer exists.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Thulitharn View Post
    The dropbox file no longer exists.
    yes I agree that the dropbox file no longer exists.

Beans

I have not been able to get the fixes to work with 12.04 and I cannot flash the BIOS as I do not have the Vista partition. I have tried to re-isntall Vista but that does not seem to work either as I cannot get the think to connect to the internet.

So I am sure that I, and may others, are still stuck.

I really wish I had not bothered to try a new operating system. The overheads are far too high.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, this is an old thread so it has been closed please start a new thread of your own with a descriptive title.
    Thanks