Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Grub 2 Password Protection

Hello,

I preformed a fresh install, followed the directions and it worked. Thanks

Code:
    Ubuntu 10.04 on Dell
    grub version  (GNU GRUB 1.98-1ubuntu9)
    Note:
    It is very important for me that normal user accounts are blocked from reading access (grub.cfg, 00_header ... ect) since the password is visible.

changed to

Code:
    sudo chmod 771 /etc/grub.d*
    Its worth mentioning that as a result several "complaints" were upchucked at boot ie.
    Don't understand EOF
    Bad script
    Can't read script ....

However, I did not have trouble accessing the grub menu or entering password to edit to grub script.

--Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

To specify multiple users on a menu entry separate them by a comma:
    --users superman,bill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jhansonxi View Post
    To specify multiple users on a menu entry separate them by a comma:
    --users superman,bill
    jhansonxi,

Good tip. I hadn't provided an example of mulitiple non-superusers. I've added a note.

Thanks.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Password encryption worked for me without hangups. I did not need to use grub's console mode.

Grub 2 version 1.98+20100804-5ubuntu3
    Last edited by EnigmaticCoder; February 3rd, 2011 at 08:54 PM.

Beans

hi guys!

Here is a nice information, so pls share with other people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Would it be possible to create a script that runs at start up that check the user list and updates the user names and passwords so you don't have to mess with the configuration files?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by scott-ian View Post
    Would it be possible to create a script that runs at start up that check the user list and updates the user names and passwords so you don't have to mess with the configuration files?
    I'm not sure what you mean by checking and updating the user names/passwords. Since I don't know what you want, I can't say if G2 has the capability to accomplish it.

The Grub2 passwords are just to allow/prevent starting a specific menuentry and the usernames aren't associated with the users of a specific OS. Offhand, it sounds more like what you want would be done at the OS's log in menu.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by checking and updating the user names/passwords. Since I don't know what you want, I can't say if G2 has the capability to accomplish it.

The Grub2 passwords are just to allow/prevent starting a specific menuentry and the usernames aren't associated with the users of a specific OS. Offhand, it sounds more like what you want would be done at the OS's log in menu.
    I mean searching for the Ubuntu user accounts, and updating the grub to match that setup.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by scott-ian View Post
    I mean searching for the Ubuntu user accounts, and updating the grub to match that setup.
    That would be do-able from within Ubuntu. The script would have to extract usernames and passwords, then add them and the user/superuser lines to the 00_header file. You would then use sed to revise the menuentries as generated in Step 4 of the original post.

So the answer to your question as to whether it's possible, the answer is yes. I'm not well versed in writing scripts, but the only thing I think would go far beyond the basics would be how to retrieve unencrypted passwords from Ubuntu if you wanted to fully automate the script.

Whether it would be worth the time to write such a script rather than merely edit the grub files is another matter.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Hey,

I have a little problem. I need to restart my root password on Ubuntu (GRUB 1.98)

I've followed instructions elsewhere, but it hasn't worked so far. Others basically said I should edit the kernel line that begins: init=

... but I simply don't have it here.

Thanks for any advice,

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast