Thread: Belgian Banksoftware - Missing libraries?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Belgian Banksoftware - Missing libraries?

My experience: Up to now, I have installed previous versions of Ubuntu but always as experiment never as my main computer. I have a laptop which I have been using for a year running 7.04. I waited untill the next LTS version came out to migrate from XP to Hardy Heron. Installation went as smoothly as expected. Drivers were no problem. But now, I am confronted with a bit of a problem. I use software to access my bankaccount. I am lucky enough to be customer in a bank that has a Linux version of the security module. I have installed it previously on 7.04 without too much trouble but I am having problems installing it on Hardy.

You can find the installation information here.

I followed everything perfectly and up to installing, everything went fine. But when I wanted to run the module, I got confronted with some errors.

First error:
    error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.3 : cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Solution offered by faq:
    The error is related to a missing/corrupt library, namely libtiff.

The security module requires the libtiff package version 3. Some distributions provide version 3, others provide a more recent version (4).

check if there are libtiff files in the directory /usr/lib :

> ls /usr/lib/libtiff* -l

1. ) If you find a file libtiff.so.4 :

Create a link to libtiff.so.4. You need to perform following command as root, or using "sudo"

> sudo ln -s libtiff.so.4 libtiff.so.3
    Which I solved by following the FAQ. I did however had to make the link in /usr/lib and not in the /opt/HomeBank directory.

After that I tried running the module again.

Second error:
    Error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0 : cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Solution suggested by the FAQ:
    The library package "compat-expat1" or just "expat1" is missing. Install the package "compat-expat1" using the package manager of your distribution
    I couldn't find these library packages in Synaptic. But I did a search and I did see someone linking libexpat.so.O to libexpat.so.1. I had a link to libexpat.so.1.5.2 which was called libexpat.so.1 so I tried to make a link to the same file but this time libexpat.so.0.

I tried to run the module again, and got a new error. No idea if what I did was correct or not but at least the error didn't come back.
    Instead, I got a new one.

Third error:
    libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Solution suggested by the faq:
    The error is related to a missing/corrupt library, namely libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2.
    Install the libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 package using the package manager of your distribution.
    I couldn't find that either in synaptic and I couldn't figure out to which file I should link it.

Here come the questions.

Anyway to solve this last one?
    Does all this mean that this module might not be compatible with Hardy?
    Help...?
    Political Correctness can seriously harm your sense of humor

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Belgian Banksoftware - Missing libraries?

in the terminal run the following command after installing libraries.

sudo ldconfig

yes the l is a lowercase L and then retry ur request again.
    My Stuff:
    Hostfile Blacklist
    K/Ubuntu 7.10 Tips/Tricks
    3_days_+_no_reply=Subscription_Removed

Beans

Re: Belgian Banksoftware - Missing libraries?

Hi,

I'm very late on this but here is how I did on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid to make it work:

1/ For the libtiff.so.3 missing library I used your trick:
    $ cd /usr/lib
    $ sudo ln -s libtiff.so.4 libtiff.so.3

2/ For the libexpat.so.0 missing library:
    I found it in the wink package by searching on the <http://packages.ubuntu.com/> page. I installed it from Synaptic as usual but, as the library goes into /usr/lib/wink/libexpat.so.0, I had to add a link for HBSecGUI to find it:
    $ cd /usr/lib
    $ sudo ln -s wink/libexpat.so.0 libexpat.so.0

3/ For the libstdc++libc6.2-2.so.3 missing library:
    I found it again by searching for the libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 package on the <http://packages.ubuntu.com/> page in "any" release. Dapper has it: <http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2>. I downloaded and installed that small old package as it contains only 2 libraries.

4/ A last check showed that all libraries were available now:
    $ cd /opt/HomeBank
    $ ldd HBSecGUI
    -> no more "not found" entries.

I started the software and it worked like a charm. Thank you for your initial work. I hope my additional findings will help others.

Cheers.