Oddly enough, mmmmna's solution ACTUALLY WORKED for me Although I did install cutter, because I had not previously installed it, then followed the following instructions. Using Broadcom 4311 on V6120us (Compaq presario)
To be fair, right up front I'll say I tried everything here several times, in several orders: did some things in order and then did some things out of order. I tried other things from one place in between some things from the other place, so now that I've managed to get this resolved, I can only say that I'm not 100% certain how things got worked out.
I CAN describe the issues I saw.
I have installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 on a Desktop system but UNR might eventually get wiped since I am actually using a 64bit capable system. Before you jump.... I've only installed UNR 9.1 after installing and trying to configure 3 other Ubuntu 9.1 distros (ulite 9.10, kubuntu 9.10, and U9.10 for 64 bit) and those other 3 failed and were successively replaced until I did this latest fresh install of UNR 9.10. Why UNR on a desktop? Because installing and using UNR 9.01 on my Asus EeePC 900A is first time I've had any version of Ubuntu that worked after being installed. I have gained a little bit of Ubuntu experience with that EeePC 900A, and so I felt this situation could be a sensible starting point for me to figure out how to get any other Ubuntu onto my Desktop box. I'm posting from UNR 9.10 on the Desktop box, I can only hope it stays configured after I reboot for the first time since I got the 4306 to work.
What I tried (and where I got the information):
--Everything in this thread (up to kat_ams post 1 day ago) failed for me. Each step may have acted like it worked properly (I saw b43fw-cutter, the kernel sources and the bcmwl-modaliases each said they were installed at some time or another).
--Earlier, I also had been trying the steps beginning at "http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43" over here at Linux Wireless.
What I think made the difference:
After everything I had tried that didn't work, I figured I would try uninstalling stuff. Uninstalling these 3 things made it all work!
Using Synaptic, I uninstalled:
After rebooting, I ran the hardware driver tool and tadaa.
Sorry for being so uninformative, but maybe what some folks need to try is the 3 uninstall steps I took, reboot and do the hardware driver install. While you could say that makes no sense, it is, no matter what, how I fixed my BCM4306R3 which previously did not work in Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10.