Thread: CD & Floppy Drives - Dell Dimension 8100

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

CD & Floppy Drives - Dell Dimension 8100

Hello again Ubuntu community.

I recently installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my Dell Dimension 8100.

My Dell has 3 drives in it: a DVD/CD burner, a CD burner, and a Floppy drive.

The DVD/CD burner is recognized and works for everything.

The CD is recognized under "Computer", but I can't play a CD in Ubuntu from that drive. When I insert a CD into the drive, the "CD Drive" disappears from "Computer". The open/eject button works, and K3B recognizes the drive and allows me to burn to it (which also worked).

The Floppy drive is recognized under "Computer" but when I insert a floppy into the drive it says there isn't a floppy in the drive. I also tried checking for media and mounting, but to no avail. Although when I selected "check for media" the light on the floppy drive did flash a few times. Unlike the "CD Drive", when I put the floppy in the drive the "Floppy Drive" icon was still under "Computer".

Anyway, sorry for all the text, but I'd really appreciate some help.

Thanks

Beans

Re: CD & Floppy Drives - Dell Dimension 8100

Quote Originally Posted by manco View Post
    The Floppy drive is recognized under "Computer" but when I insert a floppy into the drive it says there isn't a floppy in the drive. I also tried checking for media and mounting, but to no avail. Although when I selected "check for media" the light on the floppy drive did flash a few times. Unlike the "CD Drive", when I put the floppy in the drive the "Floppy Drive" icon was still under "Computer".
    A floppy mounting solution can be found here:
    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu...uestion/120571