Thread: What is best screencast program? For me, Kazam has been destroyed by updates

Beans
    Hidden!

What is best screencast program? For me, Kazam has been destroyed by updates

Kazam used to work good, now it has been ruined IMO on the latest version.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What is best screencast program? For me, Kazam has been destroyed by updates

What about the command line and using ffmpeg, or now presumably, avconv, with perhaps slightly diferent syntax.
    Code:
    ffmpeg -f x11grab -s 1280x1024 -r 15 -i :0.0 -s 1280x1024 -r 15 -sameq video.avi
    records desktop activity to video.avi. You will probably need to play with the resolution figures I quote here, but it certainly works well even on my old desktop machine.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What is best screencast program? For me, Kazam has been destroyed by updates

That works fairly decent.
    How do you also capture the sound?

Beans
    Hidden!

ffmpeg -f alsa -i pulse -f x11grab -r 25 -s 1280x720 -i :0.0+0,24 -acodec pcm_s16le
    -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -threads 0 output.mov

gives sound but sound is at a very low level

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post

gives sound but sound is at a very low level
    What sound are you recording? (system, mic, or both

Here I use the real FFmpeg so command(s) are a bit different but for mic I use the default - (screen 1), for system the monitor - (screen 2, note for purpose of screens am running recorder so they show but not actually outputting any sound so levels are nil
    (am going to fool around with a both later on different install, believe it requires a null sink with 2 loopbacks -
    http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials...-apps-on-linux (Full-Duplex Recording
    copy of above
    http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index...,105968.0.html

You may have a setting in alsamixer to boost mic or maybe in sound settings
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I've used the ffmpeg method previously and it works well but now I have a need to record my second monitor instead. Anyone know how this can be accomplished?

Beans
    Hidden!

Running pavucontrol when recording show no apps?

Ok, it does show and it was set to my webcam. I set to monitor of built in internal audio

And the sound is ok. I can only play the mov file with smplayer??
    VLC will play the file but with no sound?
    Movie player looks for a codec and gives up trying?

This is the commandline I am using.
    ffmpeg -f alsa -i pulse -f x11grab -r 25 -s 1680x1024 -i :0.0+0,24 -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -threads 0 output.mov
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sdowney717; March 8th, 2013 at 11:15 PM.

Beans

I hope it's not inappropriate to return to the original topic. I'd like to ask whether Kazam had performed the same for others as it had for me. I'd installed this and found that it worked once to export video to avidemux, although in false color. Is there a trend among Ubuntu developers to disable their packages, as if they were trial-ware? Is it their expectation to sell licensed versions instead when users find working versions unavailable?

Thanks for the helpful topic, too, and for the informative reply vis. ffmpeg.