Thread: Bash Sort - Starting at End of Line

Beans

Bash Sort - Starting at End of Line

I have a text file whose contents are directory listing output, like this:

Code:
    ./folder1/make-me-number-two
    ./folder1/put-this-last
    ./folder2/belongs-at-start-not-end
    A normal sort will put these three lines in the order shown. A simple reverse sort will replace 1-2-3 with 3-2-1. But what I want is for them to be sorted in alphabetical order, but starting with the last character in the filename. In that case, they would be resorted from 1-2-3 to 2-3-1, because their last letters are o, t, and d, respectively.

In case of a tie, I want to progress backward along the filename, looking at character (end-1) and then (end-2) and so forth as needed. So a filename ending with aaa would come before a file ending with aba.

Can it be done in bash, or with some other easy-to-learn (as in minutes, not hours) Ubuntu tool?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Bash Sort - Starting at End of Line

It's fairly easy, but it smells suspiciously like a homework assignment.

Beans
    Hidden!

man sort

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by raywood View Post
    But what I want is for them to be sorted in alphabetical order, but starting with the last character in the filename. In that case, they would be resorted from 1-2-3 to 2-3-1, because their last letters are o, t, and d, respectively.
    I guess I'm having a mental block but wouldn't the sort order based on the last letter be 3-1-2?

Anyways, you could use the rev command before sorting. For example,

$ rev file
    owt-rebmun-em-ekam/1redlof/.
    tsal-siht-tup/1redlof/.
    dne-ton-trats-ta-sgnoleb/2redlof/.
    Last edited by kaibob; December 30th, 2009 at 05:58 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ok that's way simpler than what I had in mind. Forgot all about rev.

Beans

Passing note to the first poster: Yes, it could be a homework assignment, two or three weeks after the semester's end. You could check me out, right? I have 86 posts here over the past 2.5 years, posting especially in the summer. So, yeah - it definitely sounds like a student. But anyway, thanks for the help. From each according to his ability, as the saying goes.

Kaibob - you are so right - I think I even had 3-1-2 and then changed it. Thanks for the pointer to rev. That seems to be exactly what the doctor ordered.

I was gonna wish y'all a happy new year, wasn't sure whether to make it a happy new decade, started to reflect that it could depend on whether the clock on these things was originally supposed to start with Jesus being born in the year 1 or the year 0 - besides which, I don't know how they'd deal with the partial year in either case, unless he happened to be born exactly on New Year's, which we'll never know - and then I remembered reading that he was actually born in 4 B.C., which if you think about it was a miracle in itself. So, you know, screw it.