Thread: X Crashes While Playing AisleRiot Solitaire

X Crashes While Playing AisleRiot Solitaire

After my father-in-law's Windows Vista installation went FUBAR, I convinced him to try Ubuntu. Everything worked fine while on 9.04, but since I upgraded the computer to 9.10, it's suffered from frequent crashes while playing AisleRiot Solitaire. To describe the crash, it's as if the user gets suddenly logged out and is then presented with a log in screen. I can't make it happen while doing anything else besides playing solitaire (browsing the tubes with Firefox, using Picasa, etc.)

I've done some searching, but I haven't found any conclusive solutions. At least, I'm not sure if the one's that I've found apply to my situation, let alone how to implement them. I realize that simply ceasing to play solitaire would probably preclude the crashes, but that's not a solution since it's one of the few things he using the computer for. Furthermore, he's considering "upgrading" to Windows 7. So, I'd appreciate any help. My credibility is at stake here!

Recent but potentially inconsequential development: I uninstalled and reinstalled AisleRiot Solitaire. I played it for a few minutes and nothing bad happened. However, we'll see what happens when my father-in-law gives it a go, since he has the patience to play it for longer than I.
    Last edited by l3lackEyedAngels; December 30th, 2009 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Added some new info.
    There's a man coming around and he's taking names.

Beans

Re: X Crashes While Playing AisleRiot Solitaire

My wife is having exactly the same problem on her new desktop (Christmas present) which I pre-loaded with Ubuntu 9.10. It only happens when she is playing Aisle Riot Solitaire. My credibility may also be at stake, as I told her that Windows was not necessary, and she would find Ubuntu equal or better in every way.

Not so, it appears, when it comes to Aisle Riot Solitaire, which she plays almost every day.

Try uninstalling and then reinstalling Solitaire through Ubuntu's software management system. It can't hurt. I don't know if it worked for my father-in-law's case yet, but I'll find out the next time I visit. Let me know how it works for you.

EDIT: Didn't work. I was just watching my nephew while he was playing and he got logged out. Back to the drawing board. Maybe I'll uninstall AisleRiot and find some other Solitaire suite instead. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by l3lackEyedAngels; January 9th, 2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Just stating that my suggestion didn't work. :/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

All I can say is that all of you are not alone. I am also still looking for a solution. No crash files are created either. Seems like one is simply logged out. Anyone with a decent tip on where to look for clues?

How do I set up a log for a particular software like Aisleriot?

Btw, it does not matter which kind of game you choose, it ALWAYS causes a crash.

Quote Originally Posted by lpd View Post
    Btw, it does not matter which kind of game you choose, it ALWAYS causes a crash.
    You mean the games within AisleRiot, or any game at all? I decided to try using a different Solitaire suite, PySolFC actually, to see if we still get crashes. I'll keep updating.

Beans

No problems with solitaire, but have any of you had trouble trying to run Gnometris? Say, the processing speed equivalent of ramming a bullet train into a gargantuan block of molasses?
    Model: Toshiba Satellite M505D laptop
    System: Windows 7/planned install Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic
    (Updated 9 Jan 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by derekmbarnes View Post
    No problems with solitaire, but have any of you had trouble trying to run Gnometris? Say, the processing speed equivalent of ramming a bullet train into a gargantuan block of molasses?
    Not I. Try playing with a different Tetris clone. That said, your problem is off topic. You should start another thread. :/

UPDATE: Between my nephew, my father-in-law, and myself, we played a lot of Solitaire with PySolFC today with no crashes. I'm hopeful. Other folks should try and report their experience.
    Last edited by l3lackEyedAngels; January 11th, 2010 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Providing an update on the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by l3lackEyedAngels View Post
    You mean the games within AisleRiot, or any game at all? I decided to try using a different Solitaire suite, PySolFC actually, to see if we still get crashes. I'll keep updating.
    Sorry, I meant that I so far have had this issue with all games within Aisleriot.