Beans

Re: Absolute beginers, right?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Laptop right?

sda1 is the system recovery partition
    sda2 is the vista install
    sda3 is a data partition
    ad4 is leftover (not sure what it is)

First suggestion I have, is to image the drive before messing with the partitions. If you've got an external drive, you can image it using clonezilla so that you have a good backup in case something goes wrong.

EDIT: I went thru an install on VBox with 4 partitions.

See attachments: Specify the partition manually. Select sda3, select change. (see attachment partition3).

Note size is different since I just used a 50GB drive.

Thanks for the walk through which I followed and I'm glad to say I have a nice shiny Ubuntu OS!! Sadly though Vista has died. When I try to boot a program called GRUB starts and offers me a bunch of booting options. The only option for vista is sda1, which is the system recovery partition, and thus it asks for my recovery disks which I don't have with me. I think I should be booting Vista from sda2. Is there any way of telling GRUB to boot from sda2 instead of sda1? It gives me an option to enter a command line, but I have no idea what the command would be.

Anyway, to all who have helped me out here a very big thank you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FinalCoyote View Post
    Y'know, i really hate partitioning.

I really, really do.

However, when i installed there was an option for Guided Partitioning (i used the alternate installer, because i'm on a PS3) and it worked without problems.

Of course, my PS3 HDD doesn't have the partitions or the problems of a PC NTFS drive so i'm probably not being much help..

Hi
    You have Ubuntu installed on a PS3!!!??? How is it going? Can you still play bluray disks and games?

Beans

For anyone who is interested:

"sudo update-grub" had grub re-look at my partitions where it recognised sda2 as bootable and added it to the list of options at boot up. Now I have a fully functional dual boot system!! YIPEE!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by spacemonkeyxxx View Post
    Hi
    You have Ubuntu installed on a PS3!!!???
    Wow, where have you been these last few years? On the earlier PS3s (not the Slim) Sony supports Linux. Sony does everything except burn the Xubuntu CD for you.

Can you still play bluray disks and games?
    Yes, when you're in the ordinary PS3 operating system. There's no 3D acceleration and no Blu-ray drive in Linux on the PS3.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12