Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Looking for a new laptop

Hey I'm looking for a Quad-Core laptop with Nvidia graphics and am planning on running 64-Bit Ubuntu 9.10

I just want to hear some advice and suggestions.

I'm thinking about the Lenovo IdeaPad Y550p - 324164U
    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...33E1A9F586CC28

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by emoguitarist06; December 30th, 2009 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Running 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Looking for a new laptop

Bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Aww come on guys! I wanna find a nice laptop to take with me to Iraq.
    And those dumb sales man don't know anything about linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm a penny pincher, so I've found I get the most laptop for the money from the Dell outlet... I can almost guarantee I can find those specs at the Dell outlet for >33% less.

Otherwise, I'd look for a model that has people with Ubuntu saying it works great on almost every usage. But a lot of people use Dells, so I still feel good about sending people there.

But why 9.04? If you're doing a fresh install, I'd go with 9.10 and have the latest advances and upgrades (at least Grub 2... er, 1.9something...).

Just my thoughts, I'm not an expert on laptops that need to make it through Iraq...

Aaron

PS Good luck, and if you're serving your country, God bless you.
    Dell Studio 1558, 6 gigs RAM, i5-460M processor, dual core, hyperthreading, 10.10 primary, W7 in Virtualbox, learning, please tell me where to find the manual, Keep in touch. <><

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aaronchall View Post
    I'm a penny pincher, so I've found I get the most laptop for the money from the Dell outlet... I can almost guarantee I can find those specs at the Dell outlet for >33% less.

Otherwise, I'd look for a model that has people with Ubuntu saying it works great on almost every usage. But a lot of people use Dells, so I still feel good about sending people there.

But why 9.04? If you're doing a fresh install, I'd go with 9.10 and have the latest advances and upgrades (at least Grub 2... er, 1.9something...).

Just my thoughts, I'm not an expert on laptops that need to make it through Iraq...

Aaron

PS Good luck, and if you're serving your country, God bless you.
    Thank you Aaron! That's great advice I didn't even think of going to the outlet. I have a bad habit of not searching for the best deal LOL.

OH and yes I'm Sorry I meant 9.10!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Glad to be of service!
    Dell Studio 1558, 6 gigs RAM, i5-460M processor, dual core, hyperthreading, 10.10 primary, W7 in Virtualbox, learning, please tell me where to find the manual, Keep in touch. <><

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Looking for a new laptop

If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

Hi,
    I am looking for a new laptop around the $1000 mark.I need laptop which can handle all these games,word processing, internet, watch DVDs, and tend to have a lot of windows open at once (so something that can handle that would be preferred). Speed, reliability, and battery power are the most important things to me.I appreciate any and all help.
    Thanks.

Beans

Add me to the list! The list of people looking for a laptop!

I have the same request as the OP and jonepark who posted with a budget of $1K. I don't have to go to Iraq, howev

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Looking for a new laptop

Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post
    Really, system76 rocks and has great laptops with Ubuntu pre-installed, so you know the hardware is compatible.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast