Thread: Printing to Samsung scx-4825fn no longer works after upgrade to 12.04

Beans

Printing to Samsung scx-4825fn no longer works after upgrade to 12.04

I have a Samsung scx-4825fn for which I installed the Samsung unified driver in 11.10.

Ever since updating to 12.04, I can no longer print. In "document print status", jobs appear stopped. With "view attributes", the "job-printer-state-message" says "/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl failed". Googling for that gave no useful hints.

In /etc/cups/cupsd.conf I raised LogLevel from warn to debug2. The only extra info I gathered that way is along the lines of "PID 7982 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl) crashed on signal 11." which just means segmentation fault. I still have no clue why, much less how to get it back to a working state.

Help most welcome!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Printing to Samsung scx-4825fn no longer works after upgrade to 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by ub40d View Post
    Ever since updating to 12.04, I can no longer print. In "document print status", jobs appear stopped. With "view attributes", the "job-printer-state-message" says "/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl failed". Googling for that gave no useful hints.
    Hello, I was in much the same position with Samsung ML1676. I had to delete and re/add the printer using CUPS (http://localhost:631). All working fine now. Also had to do so with an Epson Stylux C210 <?> inkjet printer.

All settings and files remained the same, however, I suspect there was a PPD update somewhere during the upgrade. I did not have to delete/copy or move any files around.

Please make a note of your settings BEFORE you delete the printer from CUPS.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prshah View Post
    Hello, I was in much the same position with Samsung ML1676. I had to delete and re/add the printer using CUPS (http://localhost:631). All working fine now.
    Thanks. Just tried that. In CUPS I deleted the printer, then added it again; then printed a test page and got a dialog box

System program problem detected
    Do you want to report the problem now? cancel / report problem.
    Clicked on report problem and got another box
    Sorry, ubuntu 12.04 has experienced an internal error.

I clicked show details and got another box:
    invalid problem report: could not determine the package or source package name
    In the second box, meanwhile, it said: executablepath /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl

And in cups itself, the status for the job was:
    stopped
    "/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl failed"

So it all looks just as bad as before.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ub40d View Post
    System program problem detected
    Do you want to report the problem now? cancel / report problem.
    Hah, I'm getting the same error: See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1971928

Never thought to connect it with CUPS, though. My printing works though; did you restart the CUPS service after fiddling with the printer?
    Code:
    sudo service cups restart
    I will post back in this thread if I get any more info.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."