Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Switch on/off nvidia card Asus UL30Vt, UL50V, UL80V laptops

Beans

Re: Switch on/off nvidia card Asus UL30Vt, UL50V, UL80V laptops

Quote Originally Posted by tomsecret View Post
    I'm also on a ul30vt 64-bit ubuntu lucid, and it works here. Strange . Are you sure you're not using the nvidia card?
    Now i got it figured out... i had changed the bios settings..

Has anyone got compiz working on the intel gpu on ul30vt?

Beans

I hope someone finds a solution to making brightness +/- keys work for ausu UL series on ubuntu 10.04 i got some ebooks i need to read for an upcomming exam and screen is so brighttt!

Beans

I hope someone finds a solution to making brightness +/- keys work for ausu UL series on ubuntu 10.04 i got some ebooks i need to read for an upcomming exam and screen is so brighttt!
    If you're using the Nvidia driver/card, as a workaround you can add the "Brightness Applet" to your panel to control the screen brightness. See my post on the "UL30 anyone?" thread for more info.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mediamind View Post
    If you're using the Nvidia driver/card, as a workaround you can add the "Brightness Applet" to your panel to control the screen brightness. See my post on the "UL30 anyone?" thread for more info.
    Haha thats great! thanks for sharing, my eyes thank you

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dakilla View Post
    Works fine on 10.04.

UPDATE:

to get the nvidia card to work you have to do this:

this is how you get g210m to work on ubuntu 9.10 / 10.04.

1. download and install nvidia drivers. (i have only tested the ones in the repos)

2. make sure you got an Xorg.conf that is correct. ( if not, run nvidia-xconfig )

3. reboot into bios (press delete while booting)

4. change the SATA option in the bios from enhanced to compatibility. ( yea, this makes sense? NOT! )

5. boot into linux and smile!
    Confirmed on my UL50VT. Also confirmed about pressing F2 instead of "del".

Thanks dakilla, I've tried quite a few things and finally this obscure bios setting worked.

Beans

Hi im thinking about getting a ul80vt

I got some questions

How do I switch between the graphics cards and does this work in Ubuntu 10.04 (64bit)

What does and doesn't work with this model and what is the solutions to these problems

I really like this laptop because of the great battery life which is perfect as im going to university (UK version of university) in September

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Richardarkless View Post
    Hi im thinking about getting a ul80vt
    How do I switch between the graphics cards and does this work in Ubuntu 10.04 (64bit)
    You can't switch, not on the fly anyway. You have to change a bios setting (stated earlier in this thread) and install/uninstall nvidia drivers (if you want to use them) to switch between the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardarkless View Post
    What does and doesn't work with this model and what is the solutions to these problems
    The only thing I've found that doesn't work at all are the brightness hotkeys. They make the brightness meter move but don't actually affect screen brightness. I still haven't found a solution for this (please PM if you have one) and it bugs me all the time. But for that being the only unsolved problem with this laptop I'm rather satisfied.

Also, with the Nvidia card turned off using the method in this thread, I easily get 4-6 hours battery life.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ckankiewicz View Post
    You can't switch, not on the fly anyway. You have to change a bios setting (stated earlier in this thread) and install/uninstall nvidia drivers (if you want to use them) to switch between the cards.

The only thing I've found that doesn't work at all are the brightness hotkeys. They make the brightness meter move but don't actually affect screen brightness. I still haven't found a solution for this (please PM if you have one) and it bugs me all the time. But for that being the only unsolved problem with this laptop I'm rather satisfied.

Also, with the Nvidia card turned off using the method in this thread, I easily get 4-6 hours battery life.
    ok thanks so if I set the nvidia card in the bios then it will turn the intergrated one off and turn on the nvidia one and vice versa

out of curiosity what is the integraed graphics card that is in the laptop (intel, nvidia or ati)

As for the brightness keys not working, does the applet work or isnt it seeing it capable of the brightness being changed

EDIT: I may just leave windows 7 on the laptop (instead of having ubuntu installed and xp in a vm) as it seems too much hastle, hopefully it gets less troublesome in future versions plus most of my course needs windows only apps anyway

Will still be using ubuntu on my desktop anyway
    Last edited by Richardarkless; July 2nd, 2010 at 01:25 AM.

Beans

Has anyone built a .deb or got a PPA with the patched kernel module that works with suspend/resume?

Beans

Your post is a very useful one. Laptops are highly in demand in today’s world. You have to consider several factors prior to the purchase. Make sure that the system has the power, memory and capabilities that can meet your needs. Online research may help you to sort out any queries regarding the same.
    Last edited by Ashen001; July 13th, 2010 at 08:02 AM.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast