Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Switch on/off nvidia card Asus UL30Vt, UL50V, UL80V laptops

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Switch on/off nvidia card Asus UL30Vt, UL50V, UL80V laptops

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    Has anyone built a .deb or got a PPA with the patched kernel module that works with suspend/resume?

*bump*

I am on maverick meerkat now too, don't know if that will change anything, but it made the nvidia option unusable with lag and stuff (probably the new driver and the weird gtk glitches people have been having)...

in short, I want to shut off my nvidia card again hehe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

There is now one:

http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspo...ia-hybrid.html

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    Has anyone built a .deb or got a PPA with the patched kernel module that works with suspend/resume?

Beans

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Vga_switcheroo

Anyone got this vgaswitcheroo thing working with UL-series laptop?

Beans

Hello,

I'm a new owner of a Asus UL30VT and I have some problems with the nvidia graphic card and the brightness.

I installed the script and I did sudo modprobe nvidia_g210m_acpi. There is no error reported so I think it goes well but how can I check that the nvidia card is off ?
    Do I have to use the script every time I reboot ? And every time I use the hibernation ?

I tried to use the brightness applet from gnome but it doesn't work . How can I do ?

Thanks a lot .

PS : Sorry for all the mistakes, I don't speak english as well as I wish :s.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

It doesn't work after suspend (not sure about hibernation), at least for me. Supposedly there is a way to make it work but I just have the .deb installed and I don't think that version works after suspend.

You can check by either checking your battery icon before and after you run it (should increase battery estimate by a couple hours), or by running "sudo powertop" in the terminal if you have it installed. Should be less power usage.

Beans

A few comments....

1) GREAT work! Thanks a lot this saved me hours of battery life

2) A really easy way to check if its on or off is to hit the brightness keys... if a libnotify popup comes up the card is on if no popup happens the card is off (at least that's my experience)

3) Has anyone managed to get this working under kernel 2.6.35? I switched to it because i was getting screen flickers on the intel card on the other kernels however when i try to use this mod on kernel 2.6.35 the laptop crashes.

Thanks a lot for your help

Sphaerophoria

Beans

Hello,

I just got my UL30VT and I installed Ubuntu 10.04. After installing ubuntu wants to install the nvidia propretary drivers. I installed them and Ubuntu doesn't boot any more. The screen stays black and ctrl+alt+del shuts the pc down. System seems to work, but no screen output. And I can't switch to a terminal (ctrl+alt+f1)

Is this because the Intel is activated and Ubuntu tries using the Nvidia?

Is there anyway to reactivate the Ubuntu drivers? Maybe by changing some config files from a live session?

Thanks for help!

Bye
    MPW

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mpw View Post
    Hello,

I just got my UL30VT and I installed Ubuntu 10.04. After installing ubuntu wants to install the nvidia propretary drivers. I installed them and Ubuntu doesn't boot any more.
    Boot into your laptops BIOS and change the SATA mode from Enhanced to Compatibility. That should fix your problem.

Beans

I Have the UL80VT-A1 and i have a problem, i am using nvidia_g210m_acpi to disable nvidia card, work perfectly (5.5~8.8W power usage).
    But if the notebook go to suspend and then back, the nvidia is UP again (more than 10W power usage), I solve this problem doing:

rmmod nvidia_g210m_acpi
    modprobe nvidia_g210m_acpi

After that everything work great again, NO nvidia power consumption. But if the notebook go to suspend again FAIL, freezing the laptop. Any solution for this problem?

THANKS! (With nvidia_g210m_acpi I have 10 hours of battery [8cells x 5200mAh] yeaaa!!)
    Juan Matias Granda
    http://www.insulae.com.ar
    GPG FINGERPRINT:459C 4A2D 330C CB8C 0C44 0C3A 572C CBCA 5457 508B

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by insulae View Post
    I Have the UL80VT-A1 and i have a problem, i am using nvidia_g210m_acpi to disable nvidia card, work perfectly (5.5~8.8W power usage).
    But if the notebook go to suspend and then back, the nvidia is UP again (more than 10W power usage), I solve this problem doing:

rmmod nvidia_g210m_acpi
    modprobe nvidia_g210m_acpi

After that everything work great again, NO nvidia power consumption. But if the notebook go to suspend again FAIL, freezing the laptop. Any solution for this problem?

THANKS! (With nvidia_g210m_acpi I have 10 hours of battery [8cells x 5200mAh] yeaaa!!)
    don't use the deb with sleep support... i built the original and used the same command you did... it claims to add sleep support but all it does is break it so don't use it

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast