Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Gaming Idea....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Computer Gaming Idea....

Ok so back in the day of DOS which from my eyes was a basic OS, games were given there full potential. There were not massive programs running in the background placed there just to "consume" system resources. The resources were given to the program you were running.

Today were so involved in "multitasking" that playing a computer game requires a computer with the power to go nuclear. My idea is simple. A basic operating system to run a game. It could use bare minimal system resources and there would no longer be a problem with having to up grade your computer to run the new game you just bought. Basically, after you install the game, restart your computer and boot straight in to the game. All of your system resources would be devoted to running that game. The games are supposed to come with everything they need to run, right? Could this idea take away the need for the windoz requirement for a game. As long as the nessasary files and drivers are in place on your hard drive, it should not matter what OS one is using. Ideas? Thoughts? Or am I just the village idiot?

I am NOT talking about gaming consoles! Yes they are computers but so is my calculator. I like games on the "PC". There bigger, more often then not IMO better, and have many more options for the game on pc.

I have owned N64, GameCube, Wii, PS2. I have played many games on XBox and 360. "Sony shot there self in the foot for me and the PS3 with the no BC. Non of these systems that had pc versions of games ported to them ever did them justice. Sorry, I like the gaming experience on a pc better.
    Last edited by wells2429; January 3rd, 2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: NOT GAMING CONSOLE!

Beans

Re: Computer Gaming Idea....

I'm pretty sure there are things that a game would need from the OS, like interacting with the hardware (although I may be wrong, feel free to correct me).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Im am not a computer guru by any means. But what I am trying to say is that just the VGOS having access to what it needs to run the game- Drivers, Hardware etc... Like linux- no bloatware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Can you be more specific about what "bloatware" is an issue? the only thing I can imagine that bloats my desktop is Compiz Fusion, which I disable before I start a full-screen game. I have other stuff installed, like Open Office and The Gimp, but I don't think there are any processes running in the background related to those.

A lot of people think Ubuntu is bloated. That term is very subjective.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well when I say/type bloatware I tipcally mean windoz, for example I got a game for Christmas that by specs my laptop should be able to run at least on low game settings. It runs... very very choppy. I just think that when it comes to gaming on a pc that everything (unneeded programs and processes not needed to play the game) should be shutdown so the game software can use your system to it maximum potential. If you did not have XP/ Vista/ 7 running in the background, but still had all the drivers and processes needed to run the game software, The game could/should run better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by wells2429 View Post
    Ok so back in the day of DOS which from my eyes was a basic OS, games were given there full potential. There were not massive programs running in the background placed there just to "consume" system resources. The resources were given to the program you were running.

Today were so involved in "multitasking" that playing a computer game requires a computer with the power to go nuclear. My idea is simple. A basic operating system to run a game. It could use bare minimal system resources and there would no longer be a problem with having to up grade your computer to run the new game you just bought. Basically, after you install the game, restart your computer and boot straight in to the game. All of your system resources would be devoted to running that game. The games are supposed to come with everything they need to run, right? Could this idea take away the need for the windoz requirement for a game. As long as the nessasary files and drivers are in place on your hard drive, it should not matter what OS one is using. Ideas? Thoughts? Or am I just the village idiot?
    That sorta already exists. It's called a gaming console But seriously the xbox is basically a pc. You will see it will get updated and renewed cause hardware has always had a technical and economical life cycle that expires (for now).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Exactly! But why cant game manufactures take that to the pc. It only seems obvious. Is it not gaming that took the whole "A computer will never need more than 8Mb of ram." and blew it right out of the water? It just seems to me that the biggest reason a computer is outdated so quickly is because M$ doesn't care about power to others, only it's self and forced upgrades. I have 4Gb of ram for my dual boot and I use Ubuntu 99% of the time. I only use M$ for my binge gaming needs. I would rather my ram and dual core processor be devoted to my game, rather than trying to hold up the foundations of NYC (if you get my meaning)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

API dependency and the multitude of hardware makes having an bloated operating system mandatory. Being bare with only TSRs loaded for specific devices just won't cut it anymore.

In other words...

I USE THIS SMILEY because im a rocker!!! \m/ pantara and nerveina roles!

also yo-yo ma is great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by CharmyBee View Post
    API dependency and the multitude of hardware makes having an bloated operating system mandatory. Being bare with only TSRs loaded for specific devices just won't cut it anymore.
    I agree, completely, to have all the necessary hardware drivers for the multitude of computer OS' out there with different components in different configurations which can be different depending on who, what, where, when, and why the computer was built would make you have to include more than one whole DVD of just drivers to get it to run on ANY computer.
    OR
    You could standardize hardware components, or approve them on a limited basis like apple does.

Just use 25gb Blue-Ray disks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Agreed about modern OSes all being bloated. If you think Windows is bloated and Linux isn't, just take a look at all the hardware drivers built into Ubuntu by default. I am pretty sure Ubuntu supports more hardware than Windows does out of the box. That is pretty bloated. I am not saying all distros are bloated, but many of them are, by default.

But, even if you chisel it down to just 1 driver for each piece of hardware you use, and only have bare software loaded, I honestly do not believe that would boost real-world performance by much...maybe a few FPS? It's not as if you would suddenly be able to play a game at high settings that was totally unplayable before.

Even though there may be unnecessary processes running, many/most of them probably are using little to no actual CPU time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast