Thread: Wacom Graphire4 doesn't work properly in Karmic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wacom Graphire4 doesn't work properly in Karmic

Hi to all, I'm in trouble with my Wacom Graphire4 in Karmic. The situation is this: with a fresh new Ubuntu 9.10 installed (no upgrade) the Wacom tablet isn't even seen by the system.

Following this post by Favux I was able so see the tablet via xsetwacom list, but still have problems configuring pad button events.

I decided to switch to a text console (CTRL + ALT + F1) and turn Xorg off completely:

Code:
    $ sudo service gdm stop
    and try with:

Code:
    $ wacdump /dev/input/wacom
    but wacdump died with a segfault!

I decided to downgrade the wacom packages to the Jaunty version installing the versione 1:0.8.2.2-0ubuntu2:
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/wacom-tools
    and
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/xs...rg-input-wacom

In console wacdump works as expected (no more segfaults) and the tablet seems to generate all the correct events. So the tablet (I mean the hardware) works, it's something

Next step: using xsetwacom to configure the tablet, and here are the problems: the software stack, I don't know where, can't associate the pad buttons and the scroll wheel on the Graphire4 to mouse button events.

Example:

Code:
    xsetwacom set pad Button1 "core key A space"
    xsetwacom set pad Button2 "core key B space"
    xsetwacom set pad RelWDn "core key C space"
    xsetwacom set pad RelWUp "core key D space"
    produces the expected (dummy) result of printing a letter followed by a space on the terminal (under X) when the corresponding event occurs.

But when I try to associate the standard X events:

Code:
    xsetwacom set pad Button1 "button 1"
    xsetwacom set pad Button2 "button 3"
    xsetwacom set pad RelWDn "button 5"
    xsetwacom set pad RelWUp "button 4"
    it simply doesn't work! I can't be more precise because everything seems to work but the generation of the low level mouse button events.

I have already searched extensively in this forum and I made some progresses, but I'm stuck here. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Wacom Graphire4 doesn't work properly in Karmic

Quick check: still no ideas? Am I the only one with this problem configuring Wacom Graphire4 in Karmic?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi! I'm also curious about this, because I had just borrowed a Graphire4 tablet, and a quick search before plugging it in led me here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi, any luck on this? I've been tinkering with it for a while now with no luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi pyrofreek_9,

There was/is a bug(s) in the code. I think they partially fixed it with linuxwacom 0.8.5-10 and xf86-input-wacom 0.10-4(or later?). But I think they just found another problem with the button code. So you might want to wait for 0.8.5-11.

Basically it isn't/wasn't counting the buttons right and was cutting off at four where the, e.g.: scroll wheel down was reporting as button 5. I think they've tried to revise the code so it will handle at least 7 buttons.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks, Favux! I'm going to wait for 0.8.5-11, hoping to gain back a fully working tablet.

Beans

I down't know if there is an solution yet but it "fixed" this way
    Code:
    # xsetwacom set "stylus pad" RelWUp "core key pagedown"
    # xsetwacom set "stylus pad" RelWDn "core key pageup"
    ( if stylus pad is not working try pad otherwise check the output from xinput --list )